Articulations appearing as (greyed out) notes in score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Florio60
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Florio60 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:17 am

I don't really know how to explain this problem; certain articulations, namely trills, turns and tremolo, appear fully notated (for example a series of demisemiquavers for a trill) in my score, but they are greyed out. In the case of tremolo, I cannot edit the notes bearing the tremolo symbol, or add smart shapes because I don't see the original note, just the greyed out semiquavers. I'm sure this has something to do with Human Playback, which I use for listening to the score. But even if I set Human Playback to 'none', the notated articulations still appear. I wanted to send a screenshot, but the file is too large. Has anyone else had this problem, or does someone know how to solve it?

Florio

P.S. Please ignore the above message; I've solved it myself. I unchecked 'Show hidden notes and rests' in the View menu!!
Finale 2014.5
Windows 11

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue May 11, 2021 1:42 pm

There are 2 methods I know of for providing hidden playback notes. The TGTools Smart Playback plugin creates hidden playback notes in Layer 4. The MIDI Tool Apply Human Playback (AHP) feature enters the hidden notes in Voice 2 of Layer 1. As you've discovered, the option to show hidden notes shows them as greyed out notes. Unchecking that option fully hides them. They do play back, whether you see them or not. In both cases, turning off HP is usually the best way to let the HP perform properly without conflicts.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

dallascomposer
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by dallascomposer » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:45 pm

This has been happening to me, too.

Seeing the hidden notes is not the issue, the issue is that they are there at all. I have not applied HP to any part of the file. I use HP to operate expressions.

I delete them, then every time I press play, they are immediately added again. I can turn off HP, but then my expressions do not work.
Finale 27.4.1.146
MacOS 14.4.1 (sonoma)
iMac 2019; 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
RAM: 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:02 am

HP should remove the playback notes when it's done. If you're perhaps terminating it abnormally somehow, that might explain the left-over playback notes.

Try going to the MIDI tool and on the MIDI Tool menu (not MIDI/Audio!) pick Apply Human Playback. At the bottom of the resulting dialog you'll see a choice to clear the HP playback notes.