Can't create alternate notation

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

MortalAgosto
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by MortalAgosto » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:17 pm

Hi, I am trying to get these whole notes (on layer 2) to show as rhythmic notation in addition to the bass line in normal notation on layer 1 (see pic). I followed these instructions but didn't work. Any ideas? thanks!
https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fin ... ation2.htm
Attachments
rhythmic layer 2.jpg

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:36 pm

When you create the Staff style for Layer 2 for Rhythmic Notation, you also need to select to show items in other layers. The diamond will appear on the middle line. With Special Tools, you can reposition it with the Notehead Position Tool.

For your example, I would just change the Notehead to the diamond and then fine tune the position. I think that would be an easier method. If you have more complex rhythms, then the Staff Style might be easier. It's hard to say with your short example.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

MortalAgosto
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by MortalAgosto » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:45 pm

Yes I did that, just changed the note-heads on layer 2 and resized, but its a one by one note method. I was looking for a way to do a section at once. I did select show everything in other layers when trying to get rhythmic notation on layer 2, no change.
Thanks for the quick response. Rhythmic notation or kicks over the staff is so widely used that it should be one of the standard alternate notation among the 20 or so I see in the menu.
Attachments
diamond in layer 2.jpg

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:07 pm

I use the JW Change plugin to change noteheads and reposition them. That may save you some time for multiple measures.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."