Part Appears in Score but not in Editable List

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Karen Smithson
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Karen Smithson » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:50 pm

I am trying to retrieve my harp part which appears in my score but no longer appears in the list of editable parts. I had already made a beautiful part but it requires a small edit. Now I can't retrieve it. Any ideas what could cause this?

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bill Stevens » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:19 pm

By "list of editable parts" do you mean Document > Edit Part? If so, you can re-generate the parts in Manage Parts.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

Karen Smithson

Post by Karen Smithson » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:49 pm

I already did and managed to write over the old one which apparently was still there although not in the list. (Yes, I'm talking about the Document > Edit Part list.) This means I have to start from scratch setting it up again the way I want. I stupidly used the same filename. Fortunately, I already made a PDF of the old one so I have a template to use to reproduce what I lost. But what I'm interested in knowing is how this could possibly have occurred in the first place. Any ideas on that? I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bill Stevens » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:41 pm

In your original post you wrote that the harp was in the score but not in the parts. Is that still the case, or did you lose it from the score? Be sure to check both page view and scroll view.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:09 pm

I guess it's possible you hit Delete Part in Manage Parts by mistake. Finale foolishly doesn't warn you before taking such drastic action. If you want to attach your file here to make sure it's really gone, someone can look at it.

Karen Smithson

Post by Karen Smithson » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:54 am

Thanks for the ideas. I'm afraid attaching the file probably won't help because there is now a new Harp Part which I created while trying to figure this out and it overwrote the original one. So I can no longer show you that it disappeared. I suspect that I must have accidentally deleted it. I will have to be far more careful going forward. I appreciate your time!