Grace notes in wrong clef and wrong octave

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:02 pm

Someone asked this same question on July 15, 2017, but the files meant to illustrate the solution are no longer attached to the response.

The question is: I have three grace notes for cello at the very bottom of their range, and they lead to a note that is in the treble clef--too high to use either tenor or bass clef. But nothing I do actually has them in bass clef (though someone who did not know the piece would think they were); they are actually in treble clef AND an octave higher than they should be.

The solution back in 2017 said to enter them as regular notes and then reduce them to the size of grace notes, but how can I do that without having them take up part of the measure?

In the attached file, this is at m. 52, letter F, in the bottom staff.

Thanks!

Mark

Finale 26.3
Mac OS 11.4
Attachments
Morell 3 Look Back MC.musx
(161.08 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:14 pm

I did come up with a reasonable work-around, as you can see in the attachment, should you be interested.
Attachments
Morell 3 Look Back MC v2.musx
(161.39 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:09 am

I'm not sure what you did, Mark, but I would substitute an eighth rest for the initial quarter rest, put in the three small notes as a 16th-note triplet in regular size, reduce the triplet to the desired size, make the initial eighth rest invisible, change to layer two and insert a quarter rest on the first beat and move it into the correct place. Now the two clefs will work and it will play as written.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:45 pm

John Ruggero wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:09 am
I'm not sure what you did, Mark, but I would substitute an eighth rest for the initial quarter rest, put in the three small notes as a 16th-note triplet in regular size, reduce the triplet to the desired size, make the initial eighth rest invisible, change to layer two and insert a quarter rest on the first beat and move it into the correct place. Now the two clefs will work and it will play as written.
Thanks!