27 DEMO wrecks Existing F26

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:45 am

I've just noticed that I can no longer import and export XML using Finale 26. The bundle (inside the app itself!) has gone missing.

The only possible reason I can think for this, is that installing F27 has done something funny.

Can anyone check theirs?
Attachments
Screenshot 16.png
Screenshot 16.png (24.82 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
Last edited by BuonTempi on Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:32 am

Yep: it looks like the F27 Demo installer deletes a whole load of internal files from Finale 26. I can't think why it would do this, though the difference in naming may be a factor:
The purchased installer names F27 as "Finale.app", and renames F26 as "Finale 26.app". However, the demo installs "Finale Demo.app" and leaves F26 as "Finale.app".

Code: Select all

deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/PlugIns/ApplyCapoChords.bundle" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/PlugIns/MusicXML.bundle" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/PlugIns/SmartMusicMarkers.bundle" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/PlugIns/SMPCheck.bundle" );

print "Cleaning out old resource files\n";
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/PlugIns/2012FileConverter.bundle/Contents/Resources/English.lproj" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/Resources/FinCocoaPrintController.nib" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/Resources/FinCocoaPrintingPartSelectionController.nib" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/Resources/MMClefCollectionItem.nib" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/Resources/MMClefDesignerController.nib" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/Resources/MMClefSelectionCollectionViewController.nib" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/Resources/TIPS.TXT" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/XPCServices/com.makemusic.FinaleEventLoggerService.xpc/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/InfoPlist.strings" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/PlugIns/com.makemusic.FinaleEventLoggerService.xpc/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/InfoPlist.strings" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/PlugIns/PlogueEngine.bundle/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Finale64.mdimporter/Contents/Resources/English.lproj" );
deleteFileOrDirAtPath_( "/Applications/Finale.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Finale64.mdimporter/Contents/PlugIns/2012FileConverter.bundle/Contents/Resources/English.lproj" );
In short: if you've installed the demo of 27, you need to reinstall 26.

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by heinzfan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:58 pm

I upgraded from 26 Monday, and F keys I had assigned were gone from 26 as was the one custom Finale script I had created. I had to add the VST directories to 27, not a biggie. Also, F27 didn't carry over my HP instrument techniques. Perhaps because F27 seems to have a redesigned set of Garritan instrument techniques? Is there a way to add my customized set of techniques for third-party VST to the F27 one? I have a feeling I'm going to have to recreate them in F27.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:04 pm

You'll have to copy over the files from your User Library's Application Support folder -- from Finale 26 to Finale 27.

You'll have rename the Finale plist or other pref file, if you want the keys. It should be the same practice every time. Someone must have written a guide somewhere?

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:48 pm

I'm not sure I follow. It's easy enough to get the third-party instrument techniques from 26 to 27. I just open in 27 a 26 document that has the techniques, save the document, and they will then be global. Having done that, I can choose either the third-party VST or the Garritan set, but not both. I'm trying to merge the two sets of techniques.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

Simon_Furey

Post by Simon_Furey » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:53 am

I just tried this out on F26 and it still works perfectly on my PC (Windows 10). I have the full (not demo) F27 installed, and luckily I made sure (yay!) to select the installation option to retain F26 and not replace it. The only snag I have found so far is that all of the links to F26 disappeared, so I had to dig down through C:\Program Files\MakeMusic\Finale\26\Finale.exe to create a new shortcut. Boring but not unusual.
Hope this helps
Simon

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:42 am

It's a Mac issue only.

Some Windows users have reported that the Demo is already expired as soon as they install it.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:09 am

MM have now released a "hot fix" update to the installer that fixes this. I don't know if the Windows expiry issue has also been fixed, but probably worth re-downloading.