Unable to remove redundant hyphens in a lyric line

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:10 pm

For some reason, a search for any term in the Finale v26 Manual brings up "zero results." I searched for Lyric, Lyrics, Lyric Tool, hyphen and hyphens, even Text. But each time I get the window below.

Hyphens.jpg

My immediate need is to remove extended hyphens from a lyric line. In a new document, I forgot to enter a syllable; and from that point, hyphens run through the remaining text. Good grief! Finale is soooooo flaky. Nothing I tried works. Before I delete all the notes and go through the labor of rewriting the vocal track, I'm hoping someone can share a way to remove redundant hyphens.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:34 pm

Add the missing syllable, or edit the syllable with the hyphen to remove the hyphen. If that adds a word extension, just delete that.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Djard

Post by Djard » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. The first thing I tried was rewriting the measure with the missing syllable. I tried disabling Smart Hyphens, but that also did not help. But with the Smart Hyphens disabled, a double word extension appeared. That is when I discovered too many notes in a measure (I had "Check for extra notes" disabled). So I deleted all the lyrics that now appeared out of place and re-entered them. I then re-enabled Smart Hyphens. The issue was resolved. At least I did not need to re-write the notation.

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:40 pm

Just a piece of advice: make sure that all the note entries are as they should be before entering any lyrics. Otherwise Finale may get confused.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

Djard

Post by Djard » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:41 am

Yes, I learned this lesson the hard way. Since I seem to make a lot of errors, and Finale is not a robust program (unforgiving), I need to double check my work at every step. Thank you for the tip.