best paper for printing in UK?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jmus
Finale Version: V26
Operating System: Windows

Post by jmus » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:42 am

Have researched loads, found company 'purely paper' that professes to stock off-white paper, anti glare. Sounds good but prohibitively expensive and I think white would be better. Anyone here in UK have ideas where I can buy paper that would be suitable?

Its for a self-published music book, so needing the quality to be good enough to withstand lots of page turns/pencil notes etc. I believe somewhere in the region of 105gsm (70lb) is reccommended.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:41 am

I've found it very difficult, or expensive, or both, to get decent 'text' paper - off-white, low-coating, high opacity -- or other 'non-office' paper like B4 size from UK paper suppliers in small-to-medium quantities.

And that's after needling contacts in the paper trade from my book publishing days.

You could try asking a commercial printer to sell you some stock.

But given that most paper comes from France or Finland these days, I suspect supplies are likely to be more constrained, because of ... y'know.. :roll:

jmus
Finale Version: V26
Operating System: Windows

Post by jmus » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:17 pm

Thanks Buon. Yes, printer found some good paper but it's too cream and probably too thin for purpose.