Selective part names in score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:27 am

I'm editing a multi-movement piece by another composer who has copied it as all one document--in other words, the seven movements are not separated into their own files. This is great, except for three things having to do with part names in the score:

1. I want the part names to appear at the beginning of each movement, but nowhere else (with the exception of in my second question below). How can I add them in only at the beginning of each movement?

2. The score has occasional cutaway passages, as it features a solo viola part. Whenever it does that, I need to identify the viola solo as such--meaning, I need a way to selectively add in the part name in the score in those instances, but nowhere else. How can I do that?

3. I want the full name at the beginning, but because the viola solo is alone in the first system, it exists all by itself. So on the next system, the instrument names are abbreviated, and that does not look good. I guess I can choose that their abbreviated names actually be their full names, but then I need a way to turn them off for the subsequent systems, EXCEPT at the beginnings of movements. Any way to do that?

I'm attaching the first three pages of the score, which demonstrate each of the problems I am having.

Thanks,

Mark

Finale 26.3
OS 11.4
Attachments
Dancing in her sleep pages 1-3.musx
(185.91 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:26 am

With Measure Attributes, you can select "Show Full Staff and Group Names" in that measure.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:00 am

zuill wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:26 am
With Measure Attributes, you can select "Show Full Staff and Group Names" in that measure.

Zuill
Yay! Thank you so much. It's like a miracle how easy that is, but I obviously had absolutely no idea.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:53 pm

I didn't know about the measure attribute until Michel Edward mentioned it the other day. I've always used a staff style.