Finale 27 compatibility with Big Sur

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

thomsmit57
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by thomsmit57 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:24 pm

Hey there Mac Finale Users,

Any opinions/pointers on whether/when I should upgrade to 1.) Finale 27, and 2.) Mac OS Big Sur?
I consider myself a power user, so I am almost certain to upgrade Finale. (Mac OS I'm still kind of hazy on)

I also use MS Word, Adobe Acrobat and Logic Pro X a majority of the time I'm working; besides Firefox, can't think of too many other crucial/often-used apps that would impact my daily workflow.

any thoughts welcome.
Thanks.
P.S. Thinking of going straight from Mojave to Big Sur. That shouldn't be a problem, right?
Guitarist, Composer, Arranger, Publisher, Engraver
Finale 27.4
iMac 27" running Big Sur 11.6
Logic Pro 10.7, Korg M1 (vintage 1980s)
www.thomasmithmusic.com

miker

Post by miker » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:40 pm

Seems to work OK from everything I've seen here.

Should be no problem to go straight to Big Sur, assuming your Mac is new enough to take it.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:46 pm

It looks like with 27 and Big Sur the small problems are still there, such as the expansion button in playback controls.

Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:01 pm

?? The Expansion button works for me in Big Sur and F27.

Though there are lots of little UI things that are a bit rubbish, but many were thus in F26, like the little "Assign" button in the Expressions Selector.

Mind you: MM's mind ought to be on compatibility with Monterey, due out in September/October.
thomsmit57 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:24 pm
P.S. Thinking of going straight from Mojave to Big Sur. That shouldn't be a problem, right?
Mojave was the last OS to support old 32-bit software. Newer versions only run 64-bit apps. If your copy of Office or Acrobat is very old, then it won't work in Big Sur.
Hold Alt and click on the Apple menu > System Information. Then click on "Applications" in the sidebar. This will list all the software you have, and whether it's 64-bit or not.

miker

Post by miker » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:06 pm

BuonTempi wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:01 pm
MM's mind ought to be on compatibility with Monterey, due out in September/October.
Oh, please! I just loaded Big Sur this morning!
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Hector Pascal » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:44 am

I'm happy using Fin26 with Big Sur. I think I'll stick with it for a bit longer. For the sake of Big Sur, I had to let go of an old photoshop elements and MS Word. I opted for the free Mac Pages software instead of Word, and I use some open source graphics software instead of PSElements. I also reconfigured my midi keyboard to work with Big Sur. Speaking of Monterey, I had some nice fish and chips there once.
Cheers,
Hector.

thomsmit57

Post by thomsmit57 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:05 pm

Thanks for the info, People.

Hector: I hear what you're saying about legacy apps. (MS Word) I've kind of reconciled to the fact that the only thing in computer-dom that will keep happening consistently is change. That being said, I've taken the plunge with Big Sur and am now wading through updates (upgrades?) to my most often used software.

Another question: I used Adobe Acrobat pretty much for compiling disparate pdf documents for publication. (Finale, Word, occasional graphics)
I don't feel like doing the subscription model thing for software that I use only sparingly and not too in-depth.
Any free or low to moderate cost suggestions that will do the trick and work with Big Sur?

Monterey.....aren't there a lot of seals loitering around there?
Finale 27.4
www.thomasmithmusic.com

miker

Post by miker » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:49 pm

Since you’re on a Mac, will Preview do what you need? You’ve already got it. I use it constantly for combining PDFs from Pages and my drafting program. It ain’t Adobe, but it’s free!
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

thomsmit57

Post by thomsmit57 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:54 pm

Mike R,

Preview! Of course. I forgot about what that little app can do. And I often forget that I have it.
I will look into it by simulating what I usually do with Acrobat. Thanks.

btw, I was in Seattle a few weeks ago during your 'heat dome' moment; 97 - 105 degree days. (or your 'first' heat dome moment-thinking it won't be your last) Ouch. Luckily my wife and I were staying at an Air BNB with good AC. My wife's sisters did not fare as well, and Madrona Arms, the very nearby pub to us, could not offer draught beer, as the heat wrecked their kegs and/or taps. :(
Had to drink bottled beer.
Finale 27.4
www.thomasmithmusic.com

miker

Post by miker » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:13 pm

Wasn't that heat a pleasure? Not.

We had one a number of years ago, and people were standing at the Home Despot for hours in that kind of heat to get a window unit, and I was one of them. Shortly thereafter, I had mini-splits put in the house. And they've been great. But guess what went toes up on the hottest day of the last wave? Appointments for repair were six weeks out. Though I don't do it often, I played the Emergency card. (I'm 72, diabetic, and had a heart attack a few years back, so I figure I qualify.) They were here the next day. Ahh...
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

thomsmit57

Post by thomsmit57 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:45 pm

Mike,
Mini-splits rule! We had one at the small Air BnB in Madrona and it worked well; we were comfortable.
When we're not in Seattle visiting, we live outside of Philadelphia, where we're used to it getting hot (and humid) in the summer. We live in a 120 year old house so mini-splits were a good move for us about 8 or 9 years ago. Central was way expensive and because of the age and layout of our house, no one could guarantee that the entire house would be cooled evenly. And mini-splits are also great for spot heating! Love em. I am also getting to that age where hoisting window units in and out is not in my back's best interests.

I can appreciate you playing the 'emergency' card. Glad they came out the next day for you.
Now can you tell me who you used? So I can tell my Sisters-in-Law, who start losing their minds when the temperature out there hits 84.
Presently they have an overworked, junky little window unit (filter full of dog hair-it looked like somebody was knitting a sweater) trying to cool the entire downstairs, and one of those college-dorm-size refrigerator-looking roll-around units upstairs. They could benefit from mini-splits.
Finale 27.4
www.thomasmithmusic.com

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:14 pm

Heavens! Completely OT, but this illustrates how different one's perceptions can be. It reached 24ºC (75ºF) here today which is abnormally hot for us and it made me feel a bit uncomfortable. (Air conditioning is unknown in these parts.)
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

miker

Post by miker » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:19 pm

You're so right, David. When I was in Arizona, teaching at a guitar-building school, we wouldn’t even put on shorts until it got to 90 or so!
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura