Tie Endpoints: Vertically Offset if Pitch Changes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jerrykrinock
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by jerrykrinock » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:42 am

When two tied notes are of a different pitch, I think the tie should be ramped (tilted) up or down to follow the change in pitch. I've seen ties in professionally engraved scores like this, and it helps my reading when I perform. But when I place a tie between two such notes in Finale, the two endpoints of the tie are always at the same height on the staff, so the tie is "flat", not ramped.

So, before publishing I manually offset the endpoints using the Tie Tool. But this is quite tedious, and it seems like something a computer could do. Is there a setting in Finale or a Plug-In which would insert the appropriate vertical offset automatically? I can't find any. Thank you.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:06 am

Tied notes are of the same pitch, not different pitches. Slurs are for different pitches. Choose a slur instead, and then there won't be a need for any adjustments.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

jerrykrinock

Post by jerrykrinock » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:51 pm

Thank you, Zuill. Amazing how much I still do not know at my age..

jerrykrinock

Post by jerrykrinock » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 pm

After using the slur instead of tie for a while, I've found myself switching back to tie.

Reasons:

1. When assigning many syllables of a lyric, as I often do, using the option-click assignment, Finale skips over tied notes as desired, but not over slurred notes. So the choice of tie vs. slur becomes six of one (need to go back and adjust the ties) or a half dozen of the other (need to go back and adjust the lyric assignments)

2. When using Speedy Entry, there is a keyboard shortcut (t) for entering a tie.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:12 am

That same shortcut (T) is also in Simple.

Option-click your lyrics in. Then, in the lyric tool, choose Shift Lyrics, and go through the score moving the syllables ahead. It really doesn’t take much time.

Here’s a link to a short tutorial I wrote, explaining the difference between ties and slurs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gn5sadj3flmvl ... s.pdf?dl=0
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:09 am

the problem isn't the ties/slur issue.

TIES are for the same note. the 2nd iteration of that note will NOT attack, it will simply hold the 1st note longer by that value. this is the function of a tie. a half note, tied to a quarter note has the duration of the combined notes: a dotted half note.

a SLUR shows phrasing.

The issue here is that you are probably misusing the lyrics entry tool.
To have lyrics skip over a note (called a melisma, generally) you press the spacebar, and it will skip to the next note after. if you have multiple notes to skip over (for example: "I love ap-------------------ples") just keep hitting the spacebar until you get to the intended note for the next syllable.

THEN you use a slur over the melismatic passage to indicate that this is one syllable covering multiple notes.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:21 am

Michel,

What you describe is Type into Score, and your instructions are entirely correct. The OP is using Opt-click, which flows in lyrics from those already entered into the lyric window. And he is correct; the lyrics honor ties, but not slurs. They need to be dealt with differently, as I described above.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:54 pm

There's a difference in appearance between slurs and ties. If you substitute one for the other in Finale for the expedience of entering lyrics, your music will look unprofessional.