Piano part sounds muted (also: "attachment too large" issue)

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:02 pm

I have a piano part where two bars seem to be muted. Just those two bars, the rest of the part is fine. Not that much experience with it, I'm assuming it's a pedal thing?? It's attached; I can't find any setting anywhere, tried clearing MIDI data, tried to find you tube video, etc. etc. AND....once AGAIN, I can't attach the file; it says "too large." The file consists of just the piano, playing two simple bars. HOW DO YOU REDUCE THE SIZE OF AN ATTACHMENT ANY FURTHER? I never used to have this issue. Is there any way to compress it or something? With image files there are easy ways to do this; no clue how to do this w/Finale files.
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:28 pm

Try exporting the file as XML and reimporting it. That may strip out some unwanted elements.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:07 pm

bj nick wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:02 pm
… The file consists of just the piano, playing two simple bars. HOW DO YOU REDUCE THE SIZE OF AN ATTACHMENT ANY FURTHER? …
The reason why the file size is “too large”, is not the number of measures, but rather the contents in the document’s Selection windows, such as Shape Selection, Articulation Selection, Expression Selection, Chord Suffix Selection, &c.

My guess is that the Selection windows contain many items not used in the score.
You can safely delete such unused items before you attach the Finale document here.

If you follow Mike’s advice, and export as MusicXML, and then import the MusicXML into an empty {Document Without Libraries}, then you will get a document containing only the necessary items.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:37 am

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:07 pm
bj nick wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:02 pm
… The file consists of just the piano, playing two simple bars. HOW DO YOU REDUCE THE SIZE OF AN ATTACHMENT ANY FURTHER? …
The reason why the file size is “too large”, is not the number of measures, but rather the contents in the document’s Selection windows, such as Shape Selection, Articulation Selection, Expression Selection, Chord Suffix Selection, &c.

My guess is that the Selection windows contain many items not used in the score.
You can safely delete such unused items before you attach the Finale document here.

If you follow Mike’s advice, and export as MusicXML, and then import the MusicXML into , then you will get a document containing only the necessary items.
I'm so sorry, got caught up in other stuff, never responded.

I can see how to export an xml file, but don't quite understand how to import it into "an empty {Document Without Libraries}"....and I don't understand "the contents of the selection windows." Please explain.

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:40 am

Muted piano issue: I'm having that same issue in another piece. Lots of 16th note figures in piano, but in a bar or two they are so soft they can be barely heard in the background (like they are muted.) I tried putting a FFF dynamic marking right before those notes, didn't do a thing. So.....once someone explains to me the previous question about xml files, I will definitely try that solution. Thank you!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:22 am

File menu > Export > Music XML. Save it somewhere convenient, with a new name.

File menu > Import > Music XML. Navigate to where you saved it.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:56 pm

Okay, didn't realize it was that simple. However, I did that, but when it opened it kept giving me wild error messages, one after the other (you violated this parameter, that parameter! etc,), it opened as a blank doc, then finally opened as it should, but there's no sound. Tried rebooting, still no sound. (Yes, sound on everything else on the computer, including opening any other Finale doc.) Ideas?