Linked part fliped slur oddity

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:39 pm

Is this normal behaviour?

I've been preparing parts for a 1,317 bar file. When I flip a slur in a linked part it flips back at some later stage unless I also flip it in the score. This applies both to the main part and to any cues added.

Another very strange, and for a while rather alarming, strangeness was that one cue in one part caused Finale to freeze when creating a PDF, whether via graphic export or print to PDF, and also when printing to paper (which on a Mac I think involves PDF in the process). Fortunately I was able to see in the Finale print dialogue where it was freezing and in which part (page 8 of the clarinet). It was then fairly easy to identify the problematic cue. However, it still seems an odd thing to have been happening, especially as the notation from which the offending cue was made does not cause any difficulty when creating a PDF from the score itself.

Anyway, both problems were got round, which I suspect is a good thing about Finale. Manuscript parts were undoubtedly more laborious, but at least they never fought back!
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:25 pm

Regarding flipping a slur, how was that accomplished? That may make a difference. In the linked part, when you right click on the handle and check the Direction setting, what does it say? You might try to relink the slur to the score, then, instead of flipping, try choosing the direction you want (in the part, that is). So, if it is an over slur, and you want an under slur, choose under, instead of flip. I don't know how you flipped the slurs, and I can't guarantee anything for your score, as it is much more complex than a simple test file. Also, if the score is in concert view and the part in transposed, that may also be at play.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:29 pm

For flipping I've been selecting the handle and keying ‘F’. However, I'll try choosing the direction via the right click menu next time. Since the score I've been using is a unique version specifically for the parts, there's been no particular disadvantage in my flipping in the score first, other than the minor fiddle involved. I usually prefer to work with scores which transpose exactly as do the parts, so that has not been the problem (although it might perhaps confuse some of the cues when there are different transpositions between source and destination).

I'll report back if I discover anything useful.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6