double trill question

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:41 pm

Ever so slightly off topic here, but...

I have a passage for solo violin. I've tried to find similar examples in the repertoire, and HAVE found some, but can't seem to see any sort of consensus on how to notate it.

basically, double trills, a 6th apart, for solo violin.

some scores seem to notate it with one trill above the staff, and another below the staff.
other scores notate it with both trills, one on above the other above the staff.

I can see the 2nd option taking a tiny bit more room between the staff system and the preceding one.
though the first has the potential for conflicts with hairpins and dynamics.

What are your thoughts on this?

I DO have room in my score for either version, but I'm not sure which is more aesthetically pleasing, or easier to read.

EDIT
I forgot to mention, this is pan-tonal music, so one cannot rely on the tonal context to know which trill has an accidental or not. I have to notate each one with its appropriate accidentals.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:21 pm

If it were me, I'd probably use either or both according to which worked best for space et al in each context. As far as I know there's no rule. In such notationally demanding music, I don't think there's any need to be consistent through a piece as long as what is meant is clear on each occasion.

It might be worth asking this on https://notat.io/. OCTO is an advanced violinist with clear views on notation.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:45 am

In keyboard music, double trills on one staff are notated with one trill symbol above the staff and the other below the same staff. In Paganini's caprices for solo violin, the double trills in octaves are done this way.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."