Convert lyrics to measure-attached text blocks

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Roberto
Finale Version: 27.2.0.144
Operating System: Windows

Post by Roberto » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:25 pm

From a single-staff lead sheet containing the vocal line and chords, I added a staff and wrote the bass part. The bass part doesn't need the vocal part but it would be helpful to have the words along with the bass notes. I managed to do this by creating a staff style for the vocal part where everything is hidden except for the lyrics, then making the left bar line invisible for all measures at the beginning of a system. It works but it's tedious and I was wondering if there is an easier way.

Ideally, select region, copy lyrics, convert to text, paste.

Thanks & Cheers!
example 1.JPG

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:54 pm

You could copy the lyrics from the Lyrics window, and paste them into text frames or expressions, but they won’t line up as nicely as your method does, now.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:01 pm

Roberto wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:25 pm
… I managed to do this by creating a staff style for the vocal part where everything is hidden except for the lyrics, then making the left bar line invisible for all measures at the beginning of a system. It works but it's tedious and I was wondering if there is an easier way …
An easier way:
Instead of making the Left Barline invisible in certain measures, customize the vocal staff’s Staff Style, and move the barlines vertically into the Bass staff.
This is done in the dialog box Staff Setup.

In that way the vocal barlines will not be seen (even if they are not “hidden”, technically speaking).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:08 pm

My suggestion is to put a single pitch rhythm line matching the vocal rhythm line in an other layer on the Bass staff (no need for another staff that way, or for using the text tool). Attach the lyrics to those notes in that other layer. Then, use the JW Change plugin to hide and mute those notes. The lyrics should still show.

By using this method, the lyrics will be appearing in the correct positioning in relation to the Bass part, which might assist the Bass player in synchronizing with what the vocalist is doing. It is also a lot easier to accomplish than other workarounds. If you need a demo of what I am suggesting, I can do that. I was suggesting entering the hidden notes manually, but it probably could be done by just copy/paste, which is faster. One never knows.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Roberto
Finale Version: 27.2.0.144

Post by Roberto » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. As always, it is very much appreciated.

The method zuill suggested worked well.
zuill wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:08 pm
My suggestion is to put a single pitch rhythm line matching the vocal rhythm line in an other layer on the Bass staff (no need for another staff that way, or for using the text tool). Attach the lyrics to those notes in that other layer. Then, use the JW Change plugin to hide and mute those notes. The lyrics should still show. ...
There is no need for a single-pitch rhythm line. I copied the vocal part, used the JW Change plugin to hide and mute the notes, then pasted it into layer 4 of the bass part.

Cheers!