Making sense of the Controls in ARIA PLayer

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:26 pm

Regarding what the controls do in ARIA Player, I found nothing useful at Garritan's site and their manual appears to be merely an advertisement for the product. MakeMusic is unable to help as I am unable to provide what "library" I am using, except that the instrument which I am using is Garritan's Fife that came with v26.3 (see the pic below). So far I have construed the following, guessing what the filters do (cut-off?). If anybody is familiar with the controls, maybe they could correct my understanding in the list below. On my system, the Modulation Wheel also acts as a volume control; the Air Noise control adds treble.

Porta (CC20): Portamento regulates amount of glide between note intervals?
Length(CC21): Length?
Var.1 (CC22): Variation (adds human feel of imperfection?)
Var.2 (CC23): Variation?
Filtr.v(CC26): Increase for more air noise; lower to take off edge & smoothen.
Filtr.q(CC27): Lower to smoothen.
VibSpd (CC17): Vibrato Speed.
ModWhl (CC1): Modulation. Lower to reduce presence (volume).
AirNs (CC12): Air Noise (increase to add edge).
Fluttr (CC18): Flutter (distortion when set high).
VibAmt (Aftr): Vibrato amount.

ARIA Player Controls.jpg

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:07 am

You'll need to find the manual for whichever library the Fife comes from: my guess in World Instruments. However, all the Garritan libraries follow a fairly similar bunch of CCs. Certainly, all Wind instruments use the same CCs for the same thing (though not every instrument uses all the CCs that another might do.)

Read here from page 57.
https://wpmedia.garritan.com/wp-content ... March5.pdf

Bear in mind that the GIFF instruments are cut-down versions, or not as full-featured as other instruments of the same type in the Garritan libraries.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:45 pm

That helped. Thanks.

tss-music
Finale Version: 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by tss-music » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:21 pm

The controllers you have access to depend on the instrument, as you've probably found. But for the ones that are usually present, yes, "portamento" controls sliding between notes. Because slides and glissandi often sound bizarre (IMO), and you generally don't want an instrument sliding between every pair of notes, I set this to zero. "Length" has an effect on the release time. I tend to set this to 100 to reduce the feeling of notey-ness that I get even in slurred phrases.

Tom