Applying a Template to an existing file

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

prchvs
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by prchvs » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:24 pm

Hey there! I just joined the forums here, though, as a guest, I've read many of the helpful answers that you've all provided over the years!

I'm wondering if anyone would be able to help. I have a number of files that I'd love to apply a different template to without having to do any copy and paste. Is that possible? If so, how?

Thanks for any and all assistance!
R

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:58 am

Copying and pasting is probably the easiest. But if you can give us more details, someone may have another idea
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

prchvs
Finale Version: Finale 2014

Post by prchvs » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:30 am

I'm not really sure how much more detail I could add? Basically, I would love to know if there was a way to apply a template to a file as it would be quicker than copying and pasting with 100+ files that need a new template to match a style in a songbook.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:42 am

Many of the template settings can be saved as a Library. Then, load the Library into the existing score. Another possibility is using the Score Merger feature. I don't know if merging an existing score with a template is going to get what you want. I think Mike's suggestions is what I would do. Also, as Mike suggested, we have very little information to go on. If we had your score and the template you were wanting to use, then we might have better suggestions. Right now, we're shooting in the dark.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

lordfrishetti
Finale Version: Finale 27.2.0.144

Post by lordfrishetti » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:57 am

I, too, have wanted this as a feature. I have files going back 20+ years. Converting them to the newest format is not an issue. Over the years, I have refined my templates. Now, I have 100s of files. Each file's "look and feel" is inconsistent as the template has been changed. It would be a great help to be able to apply the "look and feel" to a file created with an older template.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:46 pm

You can save a Document Options library (File menu) from your current template and import that into older files. That will take care of a limited number of settings - things like line weights, slur and tie contours and placement settings for accidentals and the like. But it will not affect page layout, font usage and sizes and all of the other big stuff. It might be better to leave older files as they are.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3