Perfect Layout sale

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:23 pm

If anyone is interested Perfect Layout has a 20% off sale.
Perfect Layout for Finale® two years ago we offer a 20% discount this weekend on all Perfect Layout versions including updates and upgrades. Enter SUMMER20 in the coupon code field in your cart.
I can't imagine using Finale without it anymore.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:14 pm

maybe someone here can help.
while the plugin works great, I had so much difficulty the first time registering it and installing, and now the second time as well.
I keep getting "not registered to this email" messages when I try to register the update, or download the installer.
It's very frustrating.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:32 pm

Email Elbsound.studio. I had issues with the first installation, too. But Jan fixed it very quickly. I just ordered the upgrade to full Silver (20% off!) and it went perfectly. It took only a few minutes. The FAQ page is incorrect so don't follow it.

I don't know what more the Gold version could offer because Silver has some many tweaks and is unlimited in length. Perhaps I would never hit the 400 measure limit of Silver 400 but now I don't have to even think about it.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:43 pm

Me almost. I am finding a combination of COMB and NotePerformer3 gives even better results. Sometimes even GPO5 thrown in.

Man, I can't believe how MM can be so blind to not embrace these better options like Perfect Layout and NotePerformer3. Finale could be the undisputed king of music notation software!

I also use Audacity.

Michel R E

Post by Michel R E » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:51 pm

that's one thing I find very frustrating... "use your license key" but then doesn't specify until later, or hidden in some obscure corner that they mean the license key from your very first purchase (in my case, version 1.x).

now I'm stuck because I've finally been able to decipher all that and download it... except it blocks in the installation because it asks for a "license key" of the product, but using the old one or the new one (because of course, the two registration numbers have to be different... that's one thing I like about Finale: the same number for all versions) I keep getting error messages, either "it's already registered I need to uninstall it", or it simply does nothing, the "next" button doesn't work.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:05 pm

Michel did you use the Maintancetool.exe?
Did you get an email similar to this?
Dear Ernie Biggs,

thanks a lot for purchasing our Perfect Layout Plugin (Upgrade Silver400 to Silver Edition), Mac/Win!
We have checked your eligibility and activated your license key:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
You can now run the installer with this license key.

Should you have any questions regarding the installation, please also check our Installation FAQ.

Best regards,
Jan Angermüller
Elbsound.studio
Don't read the FAQ as I found it to be incorrect. I think they upgraded their installation process and did not edit the FAQ page.

Michel R E

Post by Michel R E » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:41 pm

I don't remember anymore.
I used Windows' uninstall function (as I was told to be Elbsounds).

But that apparently did not remove the previous registration of the plugin.

I suspect that someone at Elbsounds went and did it manually behind the scenes because within a few minutes, it was finally working.

elbsound
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5

Post by elbsound » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:11 pm

Hi Michel,
I suspect that someone at Elbsounds went and did it manually behind the scenes because within a few minutes, it was finally working.
As I wrote in our conversation on the Elbsound forum I have reset your account, because you said you uninstalled the plug-in, but for some reason it was not uninstalled in the database.

AFAIK the FAQ is correct - or what exactly do you mean ebiggs1?
The email that you show is for an UPGRADE, not for an UPDATE.
On the upgrade - i.e. where you change the edition (e.g. from Silver to Gold) - you indeed get a new license key.
On the update you keep your old license key: the v1.x license key is still valid for v2.x.
A license key is connected with an edition (e.g. Silver, Gold, etc), not with a version (e.g. v1.x, v2.x).
So you always only have one license key.
If you upgrade (like ebiggs1 did), your old license key becomes invalid and you can only use the new license key on the new edition.

More info is on available on the Perfect Layout FAQ:
About license key and other codes: https://elbsound.studio/perfect-layout/ ... allation29
About upgrading: https://elbsound.studio/perfect-layout/ ... allation12
About updating: https://elbsound.studio/perfect-layout/ ... to-update4
Last edited by elbsound on Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michel R E

Post by Michel R E » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:22 pm

it would really help if you used a completely different word for incremental updates within a single number and upgrades to a different version number. for example incremental updates 1.0 through 1.9 (or whatever) as contrasted with moving from version 1.x to version 2.x.
Being a gamer, I am used to seeing terminology like "patch" for incremental updates within a single version of this type.

But for a larger update, to the next digit, for example version 1 to version 2, would be an "upgrade".

In my case, a large part of the problem comes from confusing these words.

Maybe consider using the term "patch" for incremental updates within a version, using the term "version upgrade" for passing from one version to the next, and finding some other term for changing from one edition of the plug-in to another (silver to gold). But make sure the terminology is clear and very distinct. It is always best to avoid using similar words to describe different things.

elbsound
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5

Post by elbsound » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:46 pm

it would really help if you used a completely different word for incremental updates within a single number and upgrades to a different version number.
These are BOTH called updates. Any version number change is an update. Updates never require a new license key.
There are free updates within one main version number (e.g. v1.2 -> 1.4) and there are paid updates (e.g. v1.x -> v2.x).
When you purchase a "paid update", you receive an "Update Code" (but not a new license key!) which you have to submit on our download page together with your (old) "License Key", so that your Elbsound Perfect Layout account which is connected with your license key allows you to install the paid update.

An Upgrade is when you change the edition, e.g. from Silver to Gold. Upgrades always require a new license key. Upgrades NEVER change the (main) version number. When you have Silver v1.x and purchase an upgrade, you will have Gold v1.x (and not Gold v2.x).

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:07 pm

In the old days, a "patch" was just that--rather than having to replace a big file, which was slow at the time, had to be reinstalled, etc.--rather than that, the program file was patched with a jump around the offending code to a new version placed at the end, and then back. I guess maybe it's used colloquially in the gaming world, but doesn't seem like good terminology for an update to me.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:33 pm

In my case, a large part of the problem comes from confusing these words.
That is my problem too. But it seems like more and more is confusing to me anymore! I used the Maintenance tool and everything went smoothly and quickly. Yes, I did go from Silver 400 to Silver. It is an amazing product Jan. I can't imagine using Finale without it. It certainly didn't take long to get spoiled by it. Whether it does the final score quicker or not isn't the point. The fact it puts everything where it is supposed to be is.