Unable to load a library file

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:31 pm

When attempting to load my custom library file, a notice appears, stating "Cannot read file." So I saved a copy of a library file from a working document then again tried to load it into a new document. But the notice still appears.

I did go into Preferences and made sure the correct library folder is selected, and also saved Preferences.

I then created a new document and saved the default library as a fresh backup. But it too fails to load, even if an attempt is made to load it back into the new document from which it was saved; but Finale refuses to read a saved library file. I never experienced this problem in my old version (2012c). Is this problem yet another bug in v26, or is there something I am overlooking?

Attached is a compressed copy of my customized library file, named "Guitar.lib" that has worked nicely in the past. If someone can load it into a new document then I figure that would indicate a need for me to reinstall Finale. Hopefully someone can help me.
Attachments
Guitar.zip
(51.99 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:39 pm

I can load it in 2014.5. I would be surprised if it's a v. 26 bug. Try rebooting, then if that doesn't work, recreating your preferences before reinstalling.

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bill Stevens » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:24 pm

I was able to load it into 26 (Mac) though some of the markings were wonky since I was missing several of your fonts. But the library is there.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:33 am

I occasionally get that error with Libraries I created. I haven't been able to pin it down. I think it started with v26.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Djard

Post by Djard » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:32 am

Because Finale stated that it could not read the library file, I figured it did not load. But after opening Articulations, Expressions and Custom Lines, I found that the library did load; and the elements therein were duplicated as I tried loading it twice (I had deleted all the elements in these three tools to avoid bloating the file).

I do not know if restarting Finale helped...my mistake for not following that suggestion first. I also pasted a copy of the file in the Program Data directory location for the MakeMusic subfolders.

Regarding Finale's notice that it could not read the library file, perhaps it meant that it could not read part of the file. I thought the architecture might be an issue, such as going from x86 to x64. But the library file was created on a 64-bit system, and my version of Finale is 64-bit.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:34 am

It's a good idea to always try restarting Finale/rebooting the system first; when that doesn't work, ask here.

Jarod997
Finale Version: 27, (Notepad 2012)

Post by Jarod997 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:37 pm

Try "Run as Administer", that cured my problem: I was trying to open a file I created in Notepad (I had scratched down at work), which opened with the completely wrong notehead font. When I tried changing the library, I got the "Cannot open file" error.

The next time I opened the Notepad file, it loaded correctly. The first "Load Library" went fine, all subsequent "Load Library" attempts still generate the error.

So, partial fix for me.

I hope it helps.

Djard

Post by Djard » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:19 am

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I made note of them.

As a rule, I close and relaunch Finale. That often resolves an issue. If that fails, I reboot Windows.

The problem I described above recurred. This time I did not exit but tried to reload the library file. As an experiment, I kept trying to load it, knowing the file loads despite the erratic notice. On the fourth try it worked...no more notifications.

I got the idea to try loading again after noticing that Finale tends to respond to executing a command repeatedly, such as when the playback sound of an instrument gets lost (my most common problem).

On the brighter side, one benefit that I have gained from contending with Finale's instability over the years is patience. I no longer get frazzled.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:51 pm

My experience with library files that do not load has taught me that the library file name must contain the suffix ".lib". Older versions of Finale did not add this suffix. I had a few older library files without the suffix which stopped loading when I switched to Finale v25. Simply adding the suffix allowed them to load properly. I should add that this is on the Macintosh version.

For whatever it's worth…
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Djard

Post by Djard » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:29 am

I know exceptions exist, but I routinely make sure my files contain an extension. MakeMusic sometimes employ upper case lettering; so I tried both options, *.lib and *.LIB.

How sane and resposible it would be if MakeNusic focused on stabilizing Finale instead of adding new features that apparently create new problems. Imagine version 29 advertised as, "Stable Release." I for one would readily upgrade.