Exporting files as .pdf

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:35 pm

So this has been thoroughly routine for years: I export a file as a .pdf, using Lumin, I believe, it shows up immediately on my desktop, and I send it off to someone, whatever. This is something I need to do all the time. Now that I'm using my new desktop, Lumin doesn't seem to be an option (searched around for it; maybe it's no longer free?) If I just go "export - .pdf" I get a "Chrome HTML document" on the desktop, with the Chrome icon. If I click on it, it opens fine, but it does not identify as a .pdf, I can't attach it as such to an email. I just want what I have always had: "export as a .pdf," it's instantly on the desktop ready to use, DONE. Help?
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:11 pm

I don't really understand you, but if you're exporting from Finale's File menu, Lumin or Chrome or whatever wouldn't be involved. Finale's export has problems, as well. The most reliable way of creating a PDF from Finale on Windows is to "print" to PDF (choose a PDF printer in the print dialog). There's a PDF printer built into Windows ("Microsoft Print to PDF") or you can install one of several good freeware PDF printers. I use CutePDF, which works well.

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:17 pm

Yeah, I didn't want to use Microsoft Edge....figured it would start insinuating itself, MS can be like that.....but I decided to try it, and it does exactly what it's supposed to: instant .pdf on the desktop, ready to use, so I'll just use that and consider this "resolved."

motet

Post by motet » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:31 pm

Microsoft Edge is a browser.

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:53 pm

Um......yes, I know that.......but it is an option for saving/opening .pdf's that can be selected from "open as" or "open with" if you right click the .pdf. Apparently it was set to open with Chrome, and the result was what I reported. Now it works; export the .pdf to the desktop, done.

motet

Post by motet » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:05 pm

So this had nothing to do with Finale?

motet

Post by motet » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:06 pm

If you want to open PDFs and look at them or print them, you should get Adobe Reader. That's the standard. It's free.

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:10 pm

Yeah, I've always used Adobe Reader in the past.....I seem to remember that it was just always sort of the default, wasn't it? Pretty automatic, a .pdf just automatically opened in Adobe Reader. But I haven't set up a new desktop in years....maybe my memory is off; it often is!

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:23 am

Okay, officially my dumbest post ever. Should have realized I just needed to download Adobe Reader.....now when I export from Finale to .pdf, it does just what it's supposed to: shows up on the desktop ready to go. And I don't have to use $%#@! MS Edge. DOH!

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:52 pm

Okay, officially my dumbest post ever.
Don't feel too badly. I am considering a new desktop myself and I dread all the screw ups I will encounter to get it back where my current one is.
Makes the current one not so bad after all! I agree about MS. I think they have gone insane. :wink:
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

motet

Post by motet » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:27 pm

If you get a new system you will need to reinstall whatever software you added to your old system. I don't see how you can blame that on Microsoft. If you really want problems updating either your OS or Finale, switch to a Mac. :-)

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:38 pm

Thank you, of course you are correct, but I reserve the right to piss and moan about Microsoft all I wish, even when it's irrational. (Though of course I use office 365, Windows pc's, etc.) As far as switching to a Mac, never! But I remember years ago getting into a discussion with the IT head of our school district, about how teachers were so passionate about one of the other. He just waved it off, he said "it's a religious issue. Mac or pc. Don't even bother arguing."

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:40 pm

ebiggs1 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:52 pm
Okay, officially my dumbest post ever.
Don't feel too badly. I am considering a new desktop myself and I dread all the screw ups I will encounter to get it back where my current one is.
Makes the current one not so bad after all! I agree about MS. I think they have gone insane. :wink:
I understand. I don't hate Microsoft in general, I just resent the insidious way they sort of worm their way into everything. Microsoft Edge REALLY wants me to use it, and I resist!

As far as the new desktop, boy do I get it. I bought new desktop and new laptop at the same time, first because I needed them anyway, but also I wanted to get into a good DAW using high-level samples, etc, and I needed substantially more capable machines. So I mapped it out ahead of time, took screenshots of my desktops and everything, and was really methodical about setting myself up on the new stuff. And for the most part it went really well. Now I have everything just the way I want it, with the exception of a couple little things like the PDF situation which is now resolved. Good luck in your case!

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:34 pm

If you get a new system you will need to reinstall whatever software ...
The new install is simple. I have every software already downloaded saved on an external HD. It is the re-registering that I worry about. Make Music is a joy to deal with compared to Adobe. My other major software is Photoshop/Lightroom.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:38 pm

Again, I checked out the Mac's at Microcenter and as usual they are at least double, even more, the price for the same system. They are beautiful but not worth what Apple wants for a system.

There is no doubt you Mac users are long suffering. I am probably too old to learn a new system any way!

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:48 pm

Seems like you did it just right; good for you. MAC's are great.....I even used to do MAC tech support for teachers when the school purchased 128 new iMACs 100 years ago....but I'm way out of practice, I know PCs, no interest in changing. The only thing I scoff at is how some portray MACs as infallible, impervious to any threat, issue-free, etc. I call bollocks on that. But they make great machines, no question. Love my iPAD too.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:56 pm

I don't hate Microsoft in general, I just resent the insidious way they sort of worm their way into everything.
Maybe "hate" is too strong of a word but it is pretty darn close!
Good luck in your case!
There isn't anything wrong with this Dell desktop. It is four years old though and I thought it might be a good time to start looking.
The more I think about the better it is looking.

Finale runs and has run nearly perfectly ever since I first got this Dell. And, it is doing all I want it to. So, I really don't have a good reason to get a new machine except it is four years old. The only real problem I ever had with Finale on this Dell was the print box disappearing. I must confess the Microsoft tech was a whole lot better than the Finale tech guy. Credit due where it's due.
I bet I had him for at least a 1/2 hour. He logged into my computer and tried some stuff. Didn't work but at least he tried.
The Finale tech said here is a workaround and its Microsoft's problem not ours. Bye your leave!

So, there you are buy or sit tight?

motet

Post by motet » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:31 pm

The empty print box was a Finale problem. A new computer wouldn't have helped.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:05 pm

When I was going through that "issue" I had no intention of buying or replacing the computer. I know it was a Finale screw up. Make Music answer, it was broken by MS nothing we did or can do about it. MS blamed MM so there you are back and forth. Then after a while it was fixed!

The only other issue I have seen is every once in a while Finale will reopen itself. But it happens so infrequently it is hard to figure out. It still does that on both machines. The desktop and the laptop. Just click it off again and it is happy.

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:17 pm

Yeah, overall I'm very happy with Finale. It has its foibles but it provides me a great deal of satisfaction. I used it a ton between 2000-2007, then didn't touch it till last year. The difference was stunning. Computer-wise, I had a 7-year old desktop that was having a bunch of issues and looked about ready to die (like my tech guru who built it for me in 2014, who died a couple months ago. :-( At the same time, I wanted to get into using a capable DAW, use EastWest sampled sounds, etc., I needed a more capable machine and it was time to upgrade. And my Dell laptop was having all sorts of issues; seems par for the course for 4-year-old laptops, unfortunately. So I did it all in one fell swoop, and I'm THRILLED with the new machines.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:29 pm

I've used it more in the last two years than I did in the previous ten years. It does what I want so it's hard to complain. However, I don't do any real challenging stuff like run a DAW. I hope you get everything running to your satisfaction.