Formatting measure numbers in parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jhelsley
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by jhelsley » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:01 pm

Apologies if this has been asked, but a search didn't reveal the answer. I created my own template for Jazz Band. I wanted measure numbers on every measure in the bottom system of the score, but this is reflected in parts as well. How would I change this?
Attachments
Measure numbers.musx
(99.75 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by mmike » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:40 pm

Measure Tool > Menu Measure > Edit Measure Number Regions > click on tab Linked Parts > unclick Use Score Settings > make the settings you want for your parts (by the way, you have unchecked measure numbers in the staff settings for your trombone part, that's why they aren't showing)
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

jhelsley
Finale Version: 27

Post by jhelsley » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:17 pm

Thanks, and thanks for catching that! Both measure numbers AND Repeats seem to be turned off in various parts? Not really sure how that happened? I started from Setup Wizard, and have done no entry?

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:27 pm

The Staff Attributes of all instruments (except 1 staff for the piano) should have the measure numbers and ending and text repeats selected under Items to display. Like mmike, I noticed it was not the case for the measure numbers of the trombone.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:53 am

Typically you don't want measure numbers and text repeats shown on every staff in the score, and that's why those Staff attributes are typically unchecked for most staves. In a big orchestral score, you might only want your measure numbers above the Flute and Violin I, for example. The Measure Number dialog lets you override that by selecting Show on Top (or Bottom) Staff; since a part will usually only have one staff, it will show up there regardless of that staff attribute.

Ditto with Repeat Options.

The Finale templates are in fact deliberately set up this way, to display them in the top staff of each group (woodwinds, brass, percussion, strings) and not otherwise. Of course, you can check everything and use "exclude other staves" like the O.P. did here, but that's less flexible.
Attachments
Image2.png
Image1.png