Combining Whole-Score Barlines and Normal Barlines

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Oneiroi
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by Oneiroi » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:37 pm

I'm trying to achieve something similar to this sheet music here, where some barlines go through all staves while others are standardly separated per group : https://www.dropbox.com/s/uh7v3c4g3kv7a ... M.png?dl=0

I created the dashed barlines by creating a group containing all instruments and checking the "Through All Staves" box for barlines. However, I can't seem to be able to stop the dashed barlines in the middle of a page. If I select to end the group at a certain measure, the dashed barlines will either end on the page before that measure or the page after, but never mid-page. Is this normal? If so, how can I work around this?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:15 pm

Oneiroi,

Take a look at the attached demo.

The time signatures are attached to a {not displaying anything} staff above the Oboe Staff.
In this {not displaying anything} staff the barlines are moved vertically down into the Oboe staff.
(This is done in the dialog box Staff Setup)

The barline trick is done with an extra {staff group} that only has barlines between the staves.
The group barline is set to Invisible Barline.

Where you need a measure with a dashed barline through all the staves, do this:
Measure Tool.
Double-click the measure.
In the Measure Attributes, select Dashed Barline, and select the option Override Group Barlines.
Attachments
Barlines.musx
(15.78 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996