Time to upgrade to 27?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:04 am
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Time to upgrade to 27?

Post by mark carlson » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:08 pm

Is it safe to upgrade to Finale 27? One friend of mine told me absolutely not to do it with pieces that are already in process, but I always have 3-5 different projects going at the same time and can't picture a time when I will have finished up everything and only have a new project to begin.

My friend said he had things reformatted after opening pieces in 27 which he had originally done in 25. Is this something I need to worry about, or should I go ahead and make the switch?

Forgive me if this has already been discussed; I searched and couldn't find anything relevant.

Mark Carlson
Finale 26.3
OS 11.5.2

Re: Time to upgrade to 27?

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor
 

User avatar
miker
Posts: 5076
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:28 pm
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Re: Time to upgrade to 27?

Post by miker » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:15 pm

Mark, there have been instances (acknowledged by Finale) where certain articulations, etc., don't render properly in 27.

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... nale-v27-0

Some plugins may not work as they did before, either.

Personally, I have purchased and installed 27, but I'm sticking to 26 for my own work. (I figure, if we don't buy it, they will have neither the money nor the user base to improve and correct the product.) But unless you need the thousands of characters in the SMuFL fonts, I don't see a need.
Finale 26.3 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 11.4 Big Sur
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

mark carlson
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:04 am
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Re: Time to upgrade to 27?

Post by mark carlson » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:25 pm

miker wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:15 pm
Mark, there have been instances (acknowledged by Finale) where certain articulations, etc., don't render properly in 27.

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... nale-v27-0

Some plugins may not work as they did before, either.

Personally, I have purchased and installed 27, but I'm sticking to 26 for my own work. (I figure, if we don't buy it, they will have neither the money nor the user base to improve and correct the product.) But unless you need the thousands of characters in the SMuFL fonts, I don't see a need.
OK Thanks! Maybe I'll wait a bit, in that case. I also buy every upgrade that comes out, both for the reason you state and for improvements, and I also appreciate that Make Music has not taken on the subscription model, which I kind of detest. But I still think I'll hold off just a bit.

User avatar
motet
Posts: 5616
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 pm
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005
Operating System: Windows

Re: Time to upgrade to 27?

Post by motet » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:57 pm

If you don't need something that Version 27 has to offer (the main thing being SMuFL fonts, which seem half-baked at this point), upgrading seems like buying trouble, but some people like to have the latest and greatest--nothing wrong with that, I guess. They have promised a 27.1, which they say will finish baking SMuFL.

I'm going to pass for now. I bought Version 26 but still haven't installed it.

mark carlson
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:04 am
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Re: Time to upgrade to 27?

Post by mark carlson » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:21 pm

motet wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:57 pm
If you don't need something that Version 27 has to offer (the main thing being SMuFL fonts, which seem half-baked at this point), upgrading seems like buying trouble, but some people like to have the latest and greatest--nothing wrong with that, I guess. They have promised a 27.1, which they say will finish baking SMuFL.

I'm going to pass for now. I bought Version 26 but still haven't installed it.
Thanks!

User avatar
johnmouse
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:10 pm
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Re: Time to upgrade to 27?

Post by johnmouse » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:58 am

I read the reviews here with every new version to see what the, um, "new features" are. :twisted: I usually wait until the "new features" have been fixed to upgrade.

mark carlson
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:04 am
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Re: Time to upgrade to 27?

Post by mark carlson » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:14 pm

johnmouse wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:58 am
I read the reviews here with every new version to see what the, um, "new features" are. :twisted: I usually wait until the "new features" have been fixed to upgrade.
Good idea!

BuonTempi
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:59 am
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Re: Time to upgrade to 27?

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:14 pm

mark carlson wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:08 pm
My friend said he had things reformatted after opening pieces in 27 which he had originally done in 25. Is this something I need to worry about, or should I go ahead and make the switch?
To be fair, that may have been caused by the articulation shake-up in v26. And Mike's link only refers to playback, not appearance.

But yes, one would hope that 27.1 (and .2, and .3) will improve on what they've started and be more compelling updates.

Post Reply