Beamed notes and tuplets inside an expression

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tss-music
Finale Version: 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by tss-music » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:02 am

You know that pre-loaded entry in the Expression Tool Tempo Marks menu that says "Swing! [two eighths] = [quarter+eights triplet]"? How did they get the beamed eighths and the triplet in there? I need an expression that shows four beamed sixteenth notes, and another that shows 3 beamed eighth-note triplets. But I haven't figured out how to modify the "Swing!" thing to get what I want. Anybody know the trick?

Thanks,
Tom

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:53 am

The Swing! thing was done with the Maestro Times font, which comes with Finale, but check out MusGlyphs, a font that makes this easy. Some examples below (type what's on the left to get what's on the right). I think it costs $10. See https://www.notationcentral.com/product/musglyphs/.
Attachments
0970.png

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:16 pm

Thanks, motet! Just purchased. Thanks, Dan, too!

But if you don't want to spend the bucks, here is a link to a tutorial I wrote a couple of years ago:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhi4ij2te10bk ... g.pdf?dl=0
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

tss-music
Finale Version: 26.3

Post by tss-music » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:43 pm

Thanks for the pointer in the right direction, motet. Once I found the manual page on Maestro font and the symbol table for Maestro Times, it was easy. For anybody else having trouble with this (and not wanting to spend another $10), I'll just note that the key to making Maestro Times do what you want is realizing you're combining symbols; so, for instance, to get three beamed eighth-note triplets, you'd enter a quarter note (option-shift-Q on Mac), then a partial eighth note triplet (option-shift-S), and finally a partial eighth note (option-shift-M). If you did tangrams in elementary school you'll pick it up right away.

Tom