a new version?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Post by lynndavidnewton » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:59 pm

Does anyone have any "inside" information regarding a coming version 28 of Finale?

I'm still on version 25 because I've never needed any features from versions 26 or 27.

Recently I got a note that formal support of Finale version 25 will end in December. I've never needed much (any?) formal support from MakeMusic itself but have relied instead almost entirely on this forum, an excellent resource.

The implication, as often happens with software, is that mysterious software rot will set in. (I know about this as a former software engineer myself.) Suddenly things that used to work fine will no longer, sometimes because of changes to the operating system, sometimes for no apparent reason whatever, and with no formal support, the user is simply hung out to dry.

I've never much liked the system of repeatedly paying for a product by means of expensive upgrades. But if I want to continue to use Finale and stay up to date with current versions, that's what I have to do. (I don't know what system the competition uses, but I haven't been inclined to learn a whole new major app.)

If and when a version 28 shows up, I suppose I'll be glad to upgrade. By then it'll be time.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:05 pm

A few versions back, they stopped support for any versions past the last two or three. I suspect it's due to lack of staffing, more than anything else. They used to answer the phone, too.

Except for this new SMuFL business, there isn't any difference to my workflow between F25 and F27. I guess it depends on what new "features" they come up with to make 28 "new and different."
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:47 pm

MakeMusic will probably first be working on the intermediary minor updates (Finale 27.1 etc.. ) that they promised.
Looking at our past experiences, it looks like the current version will be around for a couple of years before a new one gets released.
Last edited by michelp on Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:16 pm

I don't think MakeMusic support is worth much, so that shouldn't be a reason to switch. It's different from, say, Windows XP, where support includes security upgrades. Finale is never upgraded except to fix egregious errors when they release a new version without adequate testing; but that happens within weeks or months, not years later.

lynndavidnewton
Finale Version: 25.5.0.259

Post by lynndavidnewton » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:57 pm

Based on the replies I see, it seems the best thing to do is to just continue to hang with version 25. I agree that support from MakeMusic doesn't seem to be worth much.

If they ever have a version 28, I'll probably upgrade because I don't want to fall too far behind.

Thanks. I'm satisfied by these replies.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:41 am

If they ever have a version 28, I'll probably upgrade because I don't want to fall too far behind.
It took two years to get smufl fonts and a ridiculous "sharing" option. I upgraded because I usually do not for any other reason. I could care less about either of the 'new' features.

They could have added export to mp3 and perhaps video export since they are so high on sharing. Sibelius has both!
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:54 pm

lynndavidnewton wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:59 pm
Does anyone have any "inside" information regarding a coming version 28 of Finale?

If and when a version 28 shows up, I suppose I'll be glad to upgrade. By then it'll be time.
If past history is anything to go by, version 28 is likely to be 2 years' away. There will be the usual point updates to 27 first.

But yes, if you don't expect to ask MM any questions, then it doesn't really matter.