Moving a Voice into a Separate System After Completion of Score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Karen Smithson
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Karen Smithson » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:16 pm

Hi,

I have just completed a score for a work that, from top to bottom, includes SATB Chorus, Baritone Soloist, and String Quintet. I set up the score with Chorus and Baritone Soloist all in one system but I've decided now that I would like to separate the solo line from the rest of the voices in order to get the rehearsal letters and tempo marks to appear on that line. I can't find any way, including with Score Manager, to do this. Am I stuck?

Thanks for your help!

Karen

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:05 pm

If the baritone is in a separate layer, first add a new staff for it, then use Show Active Layer only to copy it to the new staff.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:39 pm

Karen Smithson wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:16 pm
… I have just completed a score for a work that, from top to bottom, includes SATB Chorus, Baritone Soloist, and String Quintet. I set up the score with Chorus and Baritone Soloist all in one system …
You are not talking “Finale-speak” - right?

In “Finale-speak” a system is one line of music (typically about 4 measures).

You probably mean that you set up the score with Chorus and Baritone all in one Grand Staff of only two staves (Treble clef and Bass clef) for all the five parts - right?

And now you need to move the Baritone part into a separate staff - right?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:29 pm

Could you post a screenshot? That will help us a lot!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Karen Smithson

Post by Karen Smithson » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:50 pm

I am SO sorry! I didn't even speak proper musical speak, let alone Finale Speak! As I look back at my work I see that, in fact, the Baritone Solo IS correctly separated from the SATB choral lines but Finale is not placing the rehearsal letters or the tempo markings above the baritone solo line. I must have done something wrong right at the beginning in my initial set-up. Is there some way I can correct that situation at this point? Again, my apologies for miscommunicating!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:54 pm

Normal practice is to only place the rehearsal marks at the top, which should be sufficient. But you can go to Documents/Category Designer and edit the Tempo Marks category and edit the Score List, which controls where they appear. Probably the Rehearsal Marks and Tempo Marks share the same list, Score List 1. Click Edit and add a check mark in the Score column next to the Baritone's staff.

Karen Smithson

Post by Karen Smithson » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:52 pm

Thanks, motet! Sounds like that should work.