Still having problems with default file

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:19 pm

motet wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:03 am
That means you're putting it in the wrong place. You might try rereading this thread again. I've explained how to find out where the Document Styles folder is and where to choose the style in the Setup Wizard, so I don't want to do that again.
I appreciate your help very much, and I assure that I have followed every bit of advice you have given me. I'll attach here screenshots of that show exactly where the Document Styles folder is and where the Default Files folder is. I have read and reread this thread.

Obviously, I am no computer expert, so it holds no weight that I think there is some glitch in what I have, or some conflict, or something.

And I am still mystified as to why the Finale manual says, quite explicitly, that all you need to do to keep your preferences for a new document is to edit them in your Maestro Font Default file, when it seems to actually be your Engraved Style file.

Mark
Attachments
Document Styles folder screenshot.png
Default Files folder screenshot.png

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:39 pm

As I said before, the setup wizard uses files in Document Styles folder, while "New default document" uses files in the Default Files folder. It sounds like the manual may be misleading, which wouldn't surprise me.

Your screen shots don't show where the directory tree is rooted. I don't have a Mac, but think Peter Thomsen said there are two copies of that tree on the Mac. You're either using the wrong one, you're confusing Document Styles and Default Files, or you're confusing "New default document" with the Set-up Wizard.

Post a screen shot of Preferences/Folders.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:01 pm

motet wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:39 pm
As I said before, the setup wizard uses files in Document Styles folder, while "New default document" uses files in the Default Files folder. It sounds like the manual may be misleading, which wouldn't surprise me.

Your screen shots don't show where the directory tree is rooted. I don't have a Mac, but think Peter Thomsen said there are two copies of that tree on the Mac. You're either using the wrong one, you're confusing Document Styles and Default Files, or you're confusing "New default document" with the Set-up Wizard.

Post a screen shot of Preferences/Folders.
I'm attaching here a screenshot of Preferences/Folders, as well as a screenshot that shows the entire pathway to the Document Styles and Default Files folders.

Thanks,

Mark
Attachments
Pathway Screenshot.jpg
Preferences-Folders screenshot.jpg

motet

Post by motet » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:31 pm

Is /mark/Library/Applications/MakeMusic/Finale 26/Music Files/Document Styles where you have been putting your custom Engraved Style? When you do a Save As, make sure the "mark" part is there.

Are you doing "New Document with Set-up Wizard" to create a new file?

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:04 pm

motet wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:31 pm
Is /mark/Library/Applications/MakeMusic/Finale 26/Music Files/Document Styles where you have been putting your custom Engraved Style? When you do a Save As, make sure the "mark" part is there.

Are you doing "New Document with Set-up Wizard" to create a new file?
Yes, definitely my custom Engraved Style is in that folder, following that path, and yes, when I change it, I save it to the same folder.

I do New Document with Set-up Wizard always. In fact, I don't know how else to start a new file.

Thanks,

Mark

motet

Post by motet » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:08 am

Instead of Engraved Style, call it Mark Carlson. Then see if it turns up on the first page of the Set-up Wizard where it says "Choose a document style."