trouble with midi combining staves

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

maggieabernathy
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by maggieabernathy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:19 pm

Hello. I have a Finale file I created to use on Clavinova CVP 405 so that the student can practice hands separately. The Finale file is split into staves appropriately, but when I export as midi, the staves get jumbled into one combining both the treble and bass on one line. Please help me figure out what I am doing wrong. Do any users know what the issue is? How do I tell the file to split at middle C? Does someone have a file that works so that I can open and see what I should be doing? I have several songs that I need to make using a channel for right hand and another channel for left hand with a third track with hands combined. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Maggie

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:56 pm

maggieabernathy wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:19 pm
… Does someone have a file that works so that I can open and see, what I should be doing?…
My guess is that this issue is program specific, not document specific:

MIDI/Audio menu > MIDI File Options > Export MIDI File Options…
Attachments
Export-MIDI-File-Options.jpg
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

maggieabernathy

Post by maggieabernathy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:11 pm

Peter, thanks for replying. I did save it exactly as you had it there on Format 1 with separate tracks. When I export to midi to put on USB for the Clavinova, the staves are combined, which makes the score look like chords though they are separate notes on treble and bass on my finale file. Midi is being combined and I need it split on Middle C. Please help.

bkshepard
Finale Version: Finale 25.5, 26.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by bkshepard » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:21 pm

The problem with using a grand staff in Finale is that it's still considered the same instrument as far as MIDI and the MIDI channel is concerned. If you want to export them as separate MIDI tracks, you'll probably need to copy the grand staff staves to two independent staves and export those as Format 1 - All instruments Saved to Separate Tracks.

maggieabernathy

Post by maggieabernathy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:39 pm

Thanks to all! I switched them off of grand staff and presto, it works! So glad you solved the problem for me.