My ole Dell

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:55 pm

My Dell, nothing fancy off the shelf, Dell XPS desktop is 4+ years old. It has three 2TB hds in it. It had only one when I bought it. 16GB of RAM. The C:\ drive was making some growling sounds so I decided to install a SSD to replace the ailing HD instead of buying a new computer. If it didn't work I could still use the 2TB SSD in a new Dell desktop. Win, win!

Cloning a WIndows 10 boot drive is somewhere in the sorcerer's realm. I use Photoshop as much as I use Finale. If you think MM is hard or slow to get along with you have not tried Adobe. I was worried PS would not run again but I knew I could always d/l a new Finale and it would work. Anyway long ramble over, there is a program called AOMEI. I didn't name it! :? But it clones Windows 10 boot drive or it is supposed to. I did the clone onto the new 2TB SSD and everything is up and running fantastically. Now guys, if you want to really wake up Finale get a SSD. The speed increase is nothing short of warp 3 or at least lightspeed.

Tip: Here is a free no extra charge tip, if you do want to clone your WIndows 10 boot drive on to a new SSD make sure they are the same size. It makes it a whole lot easier. IE., a 2TB HD to a new 2TB SSD, a 1TB to a 1TB SSD.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

johnmouse
Finale Version: 27

Post by johnmouse » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:15 am

Did you have to download and reinstall any programs after cloning or did the SSD run as if you still had the old HD in? I've used AOMEI for data backups in the past.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:44 pm

The only issue was with MS Outlook. One file did not clone. But, since I kept my original HD in the computer as is, I was able to copy that file manually over to the new SSD. Now everything is as it was. Even Photoshop works! I have now removed the original C:\ so the computer is back to three 2TB drives. The new SSD and the other two regular 2TB HDs.

I was told by several people that Photoshop would never run again but it does. They said it will not clone and I would have to go to Adobe CS to get it reauthorized. A real bummer if I had to. But PS works and Finale 27 works and now MS Office with Outlook works.

One thing to watch is if you go to a larger SSD than you original HD boot drive, it wants to make the additional space drive D:\. However, if you don't care even that is no problem. Finale 27 loads almost instantly!
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

johnmouse
Finale Version: 27

Post by johnmouse » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:26 am

ebiggs1 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:44 pm
One thing to watch is if you go to a larger SSD than you original HD boot drive, it wants to make the additional space drive D:\. However, if you don't care even that is no problem.
I'm a tad confused, perhaps. Scenario:
My current D drive contains all my documents and backup files from my external SSD. I'm not understanding how changing out to a larger C drive (the new SSD boot, now being the C drive) has anything to do with the paramaters of the D drive. Can you expound?

Zoots
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by Zoots » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:06 pm

I don't use AOEMI but use Macrium Reflect for imaging and cloning although I prefer to just make an image and restore it to the new drive than clone but that is not the issue.
This is what I think is happening:
A clone is a clone so if there are no instructions specified to do differently it makes the target the same as the clone source which is smaller than the newer target drive. It seems AOEMI then allocates this extra space to the D drive which I'm assuming is on the same physical drive and likely at the end of the currently allocated partition space so there is room on the new drive to expand it. IIRC, Macrium Reflect leaves it as unallocated rather than tack it on to an existing partition.
In Reflect, you can define how the partitions are cloned to take advantage of the extra space where you want it, AOEMI may as well.
Finale 25.5
SmartScore 64
JABB3
Windows 11

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:12 pm

I'm not understanding how changing out to a larger C drive (the new SSD boot, now being the C drive) has anything to do with the paramaters of the D drive. Can you expound?
OK, I will try. I am not a computer expert by any means. This reply is correct .............
It seems AOEMI ... allocates this extra space to the D drive which I'm assuming is on the same physical drive and likely at the end of the currently allocated partition space so there is room on the new drive to expand it.
If you already have a D:\ drive my thoughts are AOEMI would assign the next available letter. There is a way around it, however, but you need to read the instructions on how to do it because it is a little involved.

My, now, current set up is the new C:\ boot SSD, I have the full 2TB SSD drive as C:\. Plus two 2TB HHDs, they are lettered D:\ drive and Z:\ drive. I selected the Z letter designation since I did not know how many HHDs I would eventually have. I, also, have three 2TB external drives lettered E:\, F:\ and G:\.

If you already have a SSD, storage drive you know how much faster they can be. It really isn't a big deal to clone a new SSD for you boot drive. It is probably the best thing anybody can do to make your computer and Finale perform faster. I was hesitant to do it because everybody I talked to said you can't clone Windows 10. And to make it even less attractive even the tech guys at Microcenter, where I bought the SSD, didn't think Photoshop would clone and work. It does. I was not worried about Finale because I could just reinstall it.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:17 pm

BTW, my D:\ drive is my music, Finale, drive. The Z:\ drive is my in computer photo drive. The three external drives are for backup.
All programs run from the SSD.