Note Position Tool in Parts Only Question

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BenjaminPJackson
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by BenjaminPJackson » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:08 pm

Hello!

I am currently editing the parts for an orchestral piece in which the time signature is 2/4+2/4+3/4. I have Finale set up to have bars of 7/4, with false bar lines to divide as stated in the time signature. In the score, this has required me to move some notes around for neatness/readability, but Finale will not let me do this in the parts. I can move the false (dotted) barlines around when unlinked from the score perfectly well, but need to move some of the notes/rests around too (yet keep them in the same place in the score i.e. unlinked). The note position tool appears in the parts and the box handles appear above each note/rest in the part, but when I try to drag them nothing happens and they appear locked in place.

Does anyone have a solution as to how I might be able to tweak the position of a note or rest in an individual part at all, and while keeping this separate from any unwanted adjustments in the score?

Thanks very much.

EDIT - I think I've solved this - it was only on separated parts that this was a problem (e.g. where the score had fl1and 2 on the same line but were separated out into separate parts) - this was because instead of having fl 1 set as 'layer 1 only' and fl 2 set as 'layer 2 only' I had fl 2 set up to take layer 2 wherever it was there but also layer 1 where there was no alternative (e.g. when both are set to play together). I noticed that Finale said these sorts of parts cannot be edited separately - so the solution is to set separated parts as 'layer X only' and just write unison passages in both layers on the score, allowing me to alter the parts as much as I want.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:47 pm

False barlines are never a very good solution, I'm afraid. If this applies to all instruments, you might be better off using separate measures, as shown below. I've also tried false barlines as articulations, telling Finale to avoid collision of articulations when respacing, with only partial success. Just moving notes or barlines around like it sounds like you're doing is probably going to be problematic.
Attachments
composite.musx
(86.97 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
1005.png