Plugins: Perfect Layout, TGTools. others?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

karlkaminski
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by karlkaminski » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:55 pm

Hi all,
I've just learned about the Perfect Layout here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20449#p86442 (Thanks for the link Bill!). How would you all compare the plugins of Perfect Layout with TGTools? Both sites are very dense with information, but I get the impression PL offers not only layout parameters but font styles as well.

Curious:
How (if at all) do the two Plugin's feature sets overlap?
Do the PL Music and Font packages come with the PL sliver400 or purchased separately?
In general, whats your experience using these or other plugins?

Thanks!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:27 pm

They're apples and oranges. Perfect Layout gets rid of collisions and otherwise pretties up your final layout. TG Tools helps with some of that to a much lesser extent and in a less-automated way, but has utilities for other things as well.

You should probably get the JW plug-ins, which are free (but donations accepted). https://www.finaletips.nu/index.php/download. They are more akin to TGTools than Perfect Layout.

karlkaminski

Post by karlkaminski » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:34 pm

Thanks Motet! I just started looking thru the JWPins.

Over the years Ive mainly worked with a set of templates/libraries I created back around 2004 (specific to my group/compositional needs) but always wanted something else from the font types/layout. Im curious to check out PL and their font sets to see what I can create with them.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:00 pm

I think the Elbsound fonts and PL are separate and unrelated to each other, but maybe Jan will chime in.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:10 pm

Karl,
Here is my usage of plug-ins since I bought Perfect Layout. I used to have all the plug-ins I could find even some Finale scripts. I have the paid for TG Tools, too, not just what is included with Finale.

Most plug-ins are for use while you are composing. PL is for use after you are through. However, I have found almost all the other plug-ins have been made unnecessary if you use PL. In fact I never use any of my TG Tools except the align dynamics ever so once in a while.
The only other plug-ins I make lots of use of, is the fantastic JW Change and JW Polyphony. I do mostly concert band charts and smaller brass ensembles so your work may require different plug-ins.

The statement,
Perfect Layout gets rid of collisions and otherwise pretties up your final layout.
is an understatement.
Way more than just avoiding collisions. It puts everything in current accepted music standards. PL will make you score publish and print ready. For me that is huge because I don't have a staff of proofreaders except me. Just a few mouse clicks and perhaps a cup of coffee and it's done!
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:26 pm

Karl,
Here is a piece I did as a tribute to the COVID pandemic first responders. It was played by the Olathe Civic Band for their 9/11 Tribute concert. This is straight out of Perfect Layout and uploaded to youtube. But it shows you what you can expect for a similar composition.

After The Battle Is Over
https://youtu.be/lDmM51vKw3c
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

karlkaminski

Post by karlkaminski » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:13 pm

Thanks ebiggs1 for the helpful information and music!

karlkaminski

Post by karlkaminski » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:38 pm

UPDATE Elbsound font/text packages and PL:

Jan contacted me to let know...
"The text font set is not included in PL.
From the Music Fonts Package 17 fonts are included."