'Clear' all of the areas of rests in a document.

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

karlkaminski
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by karlkaminski » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:59 pm

Im working with someone sending mXML files. When creating MMrests from these imports I must always 'clear the entires' in the targeted empty measures to create a MMrest. Shouldn't these empty measures in the import already be "empty" —considering they contain only rests?

If I must manually 'clear' all of the areas of rests in each document, is there a batch or plugin method? Its not impossible to do it manually, but with dozens of files it would certain shave off some time.

:idea: (Im wondering now if my default import file is "filling empty measures with rest" causing the issue-but do I need to clear rests to create a MMr?) —Nope

Thanks for your help —letting me think aloud :)

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:04 pm

karlkaminski wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:59 pm
… Shouldn't these empty measures in the import already be 'empty" if they contain only rests? …
A 4/4 measure that looks empty, can be empty, or it can contain a whole rest.

In the first case (= the measure is empty), the measure may (or may not) display a whole rest.
This display is a setting in the Staff Attributes (Staff Tool, double-click the staff):
Display Rests in Empty Measures (which is selected by default, but you can de-select it)

A such, displayed rest in an empty measure is called a Default Whole Rest.
You can create a multimeasure rest from contiguous empty measures - even if the measures display Default Whole Rests.

In the second case (= the measure is not empty since it contains a whole rest), the whole rest is a real entry.
A such rest is called a Real Whole Rest.
A measure containing a Real Whole Rest is not an empty measure, and it can not be included in a multimeasure rest.

Fortunately there are plug-ins for converting between Default Whole Rests and real Whole Rests:

Plug-ins menu > Note, Beam, and Rest Editing > Change to Default Whole Rests

Plug-ins menu > Note, Beam, and Rest Editing > Change to Real Whole Rests
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

karlkaminski
Finale Version: 26

Post by karlkaminski » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:40 pm

Thank you Peter! - exactly what I was hunting for :D