Copyright notice in Document Style

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:46 pm

Hi,
In my Document style file, I customised the copyright notice using the score manager window, however it's not being remembered in my document style when I open a new doc. Am I doing it wrong? Or is it not supposed to remember that?

Cheers,
Hector.

karlkaminski
Finale Version: 26

Post by karlkaminski » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:44 am

Hi
I have mine setup/saved in my default file. (score manager/copyright info)

Opening as a template, I get the option of 'filling in something different" or leave it blank—this opens the new doc with my 'saved' © info.

Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:58 am

Thanks, Karl!
After reading your post, I realised that the setup wizard was pre-filling a single "©" character in the copyright info area, thus overriding my customisation in my document setting file! Sorted now. I just need to work out how to stop the wizard from pre-filling the "©" in the copyright info area of its setup window.

Thanks again,
Cheerio,
Hector.

karlkaminski

Post by karlkaminski » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:58 am

Hmm, I may have misunderstood the situation. By 'document style' do you mean your default doc (and/or a template file you've created) or a separate lib file?

Mine has the ©symbol pre-filled too- but nothing changes unless you enter info into the field. if you ignore it, the file will use your original info. (I think the © symbol is there as 'a reminder' that you have something pre-entered into the field)

My default doc setup with ©KK
Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 9.42.51 PM.jpeg

Create a new file "new from template" option. the wizard opens with a blank © field (but look at the bottom of the page the ©KK is there)
Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 9.43.46 PM.jpeg

but my original info is still there only hidden—it would only change if I type something new into the © field.
Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 9.44.38 PM.jpeg
Last edited by karlkaminski on Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

karlkaminski

Post by karlkaminski » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:01 am

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 9.44.45 PM.jpeg

I had to double take on that a couple times. Hope that is in the ballpark
best
k

Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:45 am

Hi Karl,
Thanks heaps for that info! To explain more fully what I have been up to, I've been creating a fully customised Document Styles document in MacHD>Library>ApplicationSupport>MakeMusic>Finale26>MusicFiles>DocumentStyles.

Then, when I boot up Finale, I go to setup wizard, select my customised Document Style from the list, set the page sizes for score and parts (I suspect I can ignore that step as it is set in my customised document style), and then I proceed to select instruments, then I proceed to the title, subtitle etc dialogue page and it is in here that I apparently must delete the pre-filled © because if I just leave it, when the document opens it overwrites my longer copyright blurb that I saved in my document styles document and just uses ©.

So, yep, my procedure is a little bit different to your procedure with a template. I have been watching this video and following some ideas from it. Check it out, too, if it is of interest!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFykJBDw5pM
PS: Keep in mind that the YouTube guy refers to "spaces" as his unit of measurement when quoting his numbers!

Best wishes and thanks :)
Hector.
Last edited by Hector Pascal on Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

karlkaminski

Post by karlkaminski » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:49 am

dig! thanks for the link and idea about using doc-style instead.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:14 am

As was explored here recently, "document styles" are used when invoking the Set-up Wizard. The default document is used when using New->Default document.

Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:21 am

Thank you, motet! :)

Regarding my Document Style document, it seems to be working ok, however when I look at it the first page looks like US Letter size and when I make extra pages of bars, the 2nd and 3rd pages etc are A4. I desire all pages to be A4 and have set it in both places that I know of (File>Page Setup) and (Document>Page Format>Score). I update layout and try everything but no luck as yet! Having said that, an actual document that the wizard creates from my Document Styles document is made entirely A4 and correct. Strange!
HP.
Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.15.30 pm.jpg

Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:35 am

Hi again, motet, this is just to mention that I worked it out, I had to go Page Layout>Redefine Pages.
Cheerio,
Hector.

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:36 pm

I found, right or wrong, a completely set up musx "default file' is the easiest way. I set for instruments, correct page size and fonts, rehearsal markers, even complete copyright, everything, and 10 measures or so. I have one for concert band and others for different ensembles I use.
When you use the setup wizard they will show up under 'Band' or whatever choice you have them in. Add or delete instruments as necessary.

Just remember to use "Save as" the first time you use it for your new music! :D
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:38 am

Thank you, ebiggs1. That sounds great!
Cheers,
HP.