Wandering text block

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:55 pm

I just opened a file of one movement of a piece and found that one of the text blocks had been replaced by a text block of the same size from another movement! No, I didn't accidentally move one to the other. Anyone else had this happen?

I have seen weirdness of a similar kind with grpahics replacing each other within a single file, but never anything between files.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

Ian Stewart
Finale Version: 26.3

Post by Ian Stewart » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:59 am

If I'm engraving a work with more than one movement, I set one movement up exactly as I want everything - settings, margins, beam thickness etc. When that movement is finished and saved, I then save it again as a different movement. Then I erase all the notation to create a blank document. For some reason there are often several hairpins left in the document. I rarely use text boxes so don't know if they would hang around as well.
Probably not the solution to your problem but worth mentioning just in case.
Finale 26.3/Dorico 3.5
Patterson Plug-Ins/TGTools
Garritan COMB/Personal Orchestra 5
MacOS Mojave (10.14.6)
www.ianstewart.xyz

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:17 pm

If I'm engraving a work with more than one movement, I set one movement up exactly as I want everything - settings, margins, beam thickness etc.
At this point, before you enter any music, save the file as a template to be used for additional movements. I think it's a well established fact that any new Finale file should always be a clean file, never previously used for anything else.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:12 pm

Thanks Ian and N, but both files originated as clean templates and I have been involved with them for months without issues. So two days ago I am proofreading one file (the fourth movement) and discover that a single footnote has mysteriously been replaced by a footnote from another file (the first movement). Interestingly, they were both two lines long and began with the number 4) And I did have them both open that day, but not at the same time. And even if they had both been open at the same time, I couldn't have accidentally copied one into the other; the process is too involved.

So it is a great mystery. One of the many in life...
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

Ian Stewart

Post by Ian Stewart » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:17 pm

N Grossingink wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:17 pm
If I'm engraving a work with more than one movement, I set one movement up exactly as I want everything - settings, margins, beam thickness etc.
At this point, before you enter any music, save the file as a template to be used for additional movements. I think it's a well established fact that any new Finale file should always be a clean file, never previously used for anything else.
Good advice but the reason I do that is after I have finished one movement, I usually change the settings to make everything look how I want it. To save a template I would have to make a note of all the settings, create a blank file and go throuth the numerous changes again. Maybe I should start doing that.
Finale 26.3/Dorico 3.5
MacOS Mojave (10.14.6)
www.ianstewart.xyz

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:39 pm

Like you, I would like a way to turn my latest efforts into a template rather than having to remember make changes in to places.

Besides hairpins which remain, there is something else that I ran into a while back and documented here, but it's been a few years. I wish I could remember. It was a list of things in some obscure dialog, and dozens of them had built up.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:09 pm

I've been writing a number of songs with piano recently, each with the same (smallish) vocal range and with similarities in the layout of the title and preliminary pages (done in Apple Pages). They range from less than 90 seconds to around 15 minutes in length.

I'm afraid I've just been clearing everything from the previous song each time (including deleting the contents of the Lyrics Window: most important that) rather than setting up a template. So far(!) there have been no problems.

Although that was not the original idea, I think these songs will eventually be published in a single volume with a title along the lines of Songs from 2020/21 or similar. So far only the first (a six minute setting of words by W B Yeats) has been publicly performed and that less than two weeks ago. The significance of 2020 is that my sudden writing of songs-with-piano has come out of Covid lockdown. In one way or another, they all have something to say about folly.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:21 pm

Good advice but the reason I do that is after I have finished one movement, I usually change the settings to make everything look how I want it. To save a template I would have to make a note of all the settings, create a blank file and go throuth the numerous changes again.
You could always take your finished file and make libraries of the document settings you want to transfer. I use Robert Patterson's plugin "Settings Scrapbook" to do this. It offers finer control than Finale's libraries.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Ian Stewart

Post by Ian Stewart » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:50 pm

N Grossingink wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:21 pm

You could always take your finished file and make libraries of the document settings you want to transfer. I use Robert Patterson's plugin "Settings Scrapbook" to do this. It offers finer control than Finale's libraries.
Many thanks for that suggestion N, I have Pattersons plugins. The current work is for saxophone quartet and I often write for saxophone octet, when I have a movement exactly as I want it I shall make a template. Actually I think the template would be good for most ensembles I write for.
Finale 26.3/Dorico 3.5
MacOS Mojave (10.14.6)
www.ianstewart.xyz