Printing 11 x 17 score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

markgustavson
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by markgustavson » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:39 pm

Hello,

The page size of my score is 11 x 17. It has 25 staves. I've reduced the size to 67%. In Finale it looks correct but when I print to pdf the score is cut off both at the bottom and the right side. What do I need to do to get it to fit? Thanks.
Mac Studio OS 13.3.1
Finale 27.3

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:54 pm

Make sure that the page size is correct in both Page Setup and Printer setup.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

markgustavson

Post by markgustavson » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:13 pm

My page setup has been correct. When I look at Properties in the Acrobat it shows 8.5 x 11. Where do I change that setting?
Mac Studio OS 13.3.1
Finale 27.3

markgustavson

Post by markgustavson » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:16 pm

Got it. Thank you for your help. :D
Mac Studio OS 13.3.1
Finale 27.3

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:04 pm

markgustavson wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:39 pm
… In Finale it looks correct but when I print to pdf, the score is cut off both at the bottom and the right side. What do I need to do to get it to fit? Thanks.
markgustavson,

You are using Mac Finale - right?

Instead of “printing” to PDF, have you tried using the Graphics Tool to export as PDF?
Might be a little faster - and the resulting PDF will be true Black-and-White.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

MSeg
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by MSeg » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:02 pm

I had the same problem but not just on 11x17 score for anything sent to a printer. All the margins are shifted right and down.
I spent days trying different things and could not figure it out. I reached out to Make Music, here was their reply

" I first wanted to let you know that there is currently a known issue in Finale v27 where margins will be shifted down and to the right when printing directly to a physical printer. I've gone ahead and flagged this case up to our development team to raise the priority of the issue. While I am unfortunately not able to provide a timeline for resolution, there is a workaround I wanted to share with you.

If you export your document as a PDF file, open the PDF file in a reader application, and print from the reader, the margin issue will not be present in the printed document. I realize that using this workaround is certainly not an ideal solution, though I do hope it provides your a path forward while the issue is being addressed."

This was in August 2021, no updates yet.

Let that sink in for a minute. A very expensive software who's ultimate job is to PRINT music has a known issue of printing music.
Maybe the problem goes back to your version as well. I had no issues with version 25, I sure regret downgrading to 27.

Makemusic should be red in the face and working 24 hours a day to correct a software that is unable to print correctly. They do not seem phased at all by this. I have seen no official announcement, no timeline to get this resolved. What a shame. posting.php?f=5&mode=reply&t=20507&sid= ... 14af0c1d1b#

miker

Post by miker » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:27 pm

Thanks for that post. Knowing what's wrong is half the battle.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

thomsmit57

Post by thomsmit57 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:37 pm

everybody on this thread:

I too am having an odd printing problem-sounds similar to what the OP has said.

Here's my situation:

I recently decided to upload several of my older printed scores (2015-2019) and parts to J.W. Pepper's MyScore program.
I am largely printing to 9 x 12 these days, with 11 x 17 thrown in for orchestra scores. I wanted to just touch up a few things like bad font choices and engraving errors along with some articulations that jumped wildly away from their original positions. (that's a whole other thread though) I saved all updated Finale files and 'printed' to PDF. I then opened the pdfs in Preview and inseted/compiled any text-based documents that were needed for the editions.
(A giant Thank-you, Mike R, for the recommendation here. Preview does everything I supposedly needed out of Acrobat, only without the $$$)

ALL my scores and parts were being cut off at the top; page numbers and running headers and any music related element that came up high on the page. The music itself had shifted UP on the page. Well, everything shifted up. And this WAS using Preview as my printing app. I could not solve the problem from my HP printing set up, or Preview. Page set-ups and paper sizes were all coordinated to be correct, and had I done this a year ago, nothing would have had to have been fussed with.

I finally threw my hands up in disgust and went back to Finale and just increased the size of the TOP margin 0.5" and subtracted 0.5" from the BOTTOM margin, pushing everything down the page. Repeated the same PDF-to-Preview-to-print process.
Nothing was being cut off now and I could get along with my project, but this shouldn't be, right?

I now have two sets of scores and parts; the originals with the proper page margins, and the JW Pepper uploads with the altered margins. With all the recent publicity about 'sharing,' MakeMusic has sure made it harder for me personally. In all fairness, I guess there could be a problem concerning the Mac OS and/or the HP printing firmware not playing nice with Finale, but shouldn't MM have seen this? or at least reacted to the situation somehow? :?
Guitarist, Composer, Arranger, Publisher, Engraver
Finale 27.4.1
iMac 27" running Ventura OS 13.6.6
Logic Pro 10.7, Korg M1 (vintage 1980s)
www.thomasmithmusic.com

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:27 pm

MM apparently doesn't have a QA department.

Graeme Gilmore
Finale Version: Finale 25.2

Post by Graeme Gilmore » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:10 pm

I contacted MM in July just after Finale 27 came out (no problem with shifting margins in v. 26). I was about to contact them to check the status but I see here the problem is still not fixed. It is a hard-to-believe problem and, even harder-to-believe, a not-fixed problem.
Graeme Gilmore

Finale 27.2, Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium, GPO, TGTools, Patterson Plug-Ins, Copyist's Helper, JW Plug-Ins