Custom fretboard diagram style for all future documents?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mrfunk
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by mrfunk » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:25 pm

Even though I don't play guitar, I find that having the fretboard diagram underneath the chord symbol helps a great deal in visually perceiving where the chords are; it makes them stand out.
But the standard fretboard diagrams are too tall, so I edited a fretboard style to replicate the vertically short ones that I had seen on commercial sheet music documents. Great. So now in the fretboard style menu, the diagram proportions that I created are called "Compact". I assumed that if I save it as such and then hit "use as default", it would then be the global style.

But when I created a new document, not only has the fretboard style reverted to the earlier (too tall) style again, but the "Compact" style I had created isn't on the list at all. It seems to only exist in the document where I created it.
Is there a way to use it in all future documents and preferably by default too, so I wouldn't need to manually input and recreate that style every time?

Thanks

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:30 pm

Chord symbols and fretboard diagrams are document specific (not program specific).

To get your custom fretboard style in all new documents, add it to the template you use when creating new documents.

By The Way:
You can save your custom fretboard style as a Library, and load that Library into other Finale documents:

File menu > Save Library…

File menu > Load Library…
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996