v27 chord suffixes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gdgross
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by gdgross » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:49 am

Hi all, have been happy with finale v25 for a while now.

I was under the impression that v26 upgraded many of the chord suffixes that are commonly used in handwritten jazz charts: the delta or delta7 for maj7, a simple m or m7 for minor or minor7, etc.

I was disappointed after purchasing and installing v27 to find that this is not the case, at least in the finale copyist font, which is the one I use most.

Is there a quick way to import these common chord extensions rather than (re)creating them manually as I've done in v25 and previous versions?

Thanks
Geoff
http://www.merlotembargo.com

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:58 am

Not that I know of (but I am not an expert).

However, since you have already created the suffixes manually in a previous version, there is no need to create them manually again.

I would
- open a Finale document (or a copy of the document, just in case) that contains the suffixes,
- save a Library of the suffixes
- load that new Library into the template(s) used for creating new documents.

In that way all new documents will have the suffixes.

File menu > Save Library…

File menu > Load Library…
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

gdgross

Post by gdgross » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:21 pm

Thanks Peter, that's a quick way to get where I want.

I did notice, though, that when using the engraved fonts, finale seems to recognize many of the chord suffixes i commonly use (like plain "m" or even "-" for minor, it has the delta for maj7, etc.

But these dont exist in the Handwritten font, at least in the default Lead Sheet "(Handwritten)" template. Any way to transfer these over to handwritten fonts quickly? (I assume their suffix library has many more extensions than I created on my own...)

Thanks

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:40 pm

Have you looked in the Library folder? v27.1 supposedly came with a whole bunch of new library files.
Screenshot.png

gdgross

Post by gdgross » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:57 am

That looks promising....

So I tried loading the handwritten copyist chord extension library, and it didn't seem to have and additional chord suffixes (297 total choices before and after loading the library, and it still doesn't recognize "m7" for example.)

Looks like I'll have to make my own again or import from an old chart as Peter noted.

Slightly annoying that finale didn't include these suffixes in the handwritten fonts; i feel like that's actually a more likely place where they'd be used.

gdgross

Post by gdgross » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:28 pm

relatedly, I'm making a few templates for myself, and I can't seem to get the chord fonts to stick.

I took the default handwritten template, saved as default (broadway), then changed all the fonts in the document option to broadway, incl chord symbol, chord suffix, and alterations. When I type a chord in, it looks like it's in the broadway font, but when i press enter, it changes back to finale copyist.

Note that this only seems to affect the suffixes, the symbols stay in broadway font.

There's clearly a setting I've missed somewhere, anyone have an idea where?

Thanks!
Geoff

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:46 pm

Document menu > Document Options > Fonts > Chord > Suffix*

Note the asterisk * which means that the font change will affect all suffixes created after the font change.
Already existing suffixes will not be affected.
This is by design and what users have requested.

What I would do:
Delete all the suffixes displayed in the Chord Suffix Selection (= all the suffixes in the Finale Copyist font).
Then,
File menu > Load Library…
Load the chord suffix library with the Broadway Copyist font.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

gdgross

Post by gdgross » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:16 pm

Ah, good idea! I was in the middle of changing all the suffixed via the chord -> change suffix menu and trying to figure out how to exclude the parenthesis haha

Happy thanksgiving (if you're in the states)

Geoff