Staff styles on "voiced" parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Alvabass
Finale Version: Finale 25.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by Alvabass » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:00 am

Hi. Thank you in advance for reading. I created a score in which there are two instruments per system (i.e. trumpets 1 & 2), and I used the "specify voicing" tool to create separate parts for each. I used two layers for each instrument, and set up layer 1 for the existing part and created a new part that shows layer 2 only.

The thing is, when I use the one-bar repeat staff style, it only appears on the first instrument part (layer 1), but not on the second one. I tried editing the staff style and I can switch it between each layer, but I can't make it to show on both parts. It either shows on the first instrument by default, or changes to the second one if I change the default setting of layer 1 for alternate notation to layer 2. I appreciate your assistance with this issue. Thank you again!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:06 am

Voiced parts are kind of half-baked.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:59 am

I can make it work by, not using “Specify Voicing”, but instead using custom staff styles.

The trick is that staff styles can be different in the score and in different parts.

Staff style for Trumpet 1 (entered in Layer 1):
Normal Notation: Layer 1 (in Other Layers, not showing Notes)

Staff style for Trumpet 2 (entered in Layer 2):
Normal Notation: Layer 2 (in Other Layers, not showing Notes)
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996