Using Audacity with Finale by importing .wav files

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:24 am

I want to learn to use Audacity (and eventually Cubase) to mix demos of my pieces. I remember discussing this last year but wanted to check in since it's been awhile. Basically I export tracks to Audacity for mixing, etc. A tip I got was to export each instrument as a .wav file ("solo") than import into Audacity. That process works fine. My understanding is that Finale will not export MIDI files to a DAW. Can someone remind me (or just tell me) what is the best way to export a piece (in this case an 8-piece ensemble) to Audacity so I can start learning how to mix and all that? If the answer is "just do it with .wav files," I know it works; all the parts play fine in Audacity. But I believe I've been told MIDI works better. Thanks and sorry if I should know this already.
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale

Jetcopy
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jetcopy » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:43 pm

I'll answer part of your question. I don't have Audcity, so I can't make any specific comments about that. But I do use a DAW, Logic, Mac only.

You can export a midi file from Finale and open that in a DAW. In fact, with Logic, I can import a music xml file from Finale. It works great.

I use a DAW for much more than taking audio tracks and adjusting their volume for a mix. I find the editing tools in the DAW to be much more comprehennsive than what I get from Finale.

My workflow is write in Finale, use Fina'e's playback with NotePerformer to "proof" the music, then bring the final Finale file into Logic for fine tuning. The type of midi editing I do is modulation, expression, velocity, vibrato, eq, adding reverb to highlight instrument placement, adjusting note lengths, adjusting note stop and start points, balance instruments within sections, edit crescendos and decrescendos, adjust tempo variations (accel. & rit.), etc... I also use various sample libraries which I prefer.

It's not a quick process and takes a while to learn, but I enjoy hearing a piece come to life.