Percussion - Instrument Bank and Changing Instruments

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

John Swillinger
Finale Version: V25
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Swillinger » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:42 pm

Hello, I currently am having a couple issues with percussion pretty much all regarding changing instruments. (its pretty simple if I have a percussionist just stay on one instrument throughout the whole piece)

I like to keep my percussion parts as Percussion 1, Percussion 2, and Percussion 3 because usually I will have them switching between mallet instruments and other percussion. If I start a percussionist on a mallet instrument in the first bar, it changes the whole staff and part name to that mallet instrument. (To have percussion change instruments, I select the measure and select utilities, then change instrument.) How do I keep this from happening?

Also, I would like to change the instrument bank for the percussionists, but the only way I know how to do this is to go into the score manager and change it in the percussion layout settings. In the score manager, I can only change what the bank is for the instruments shown on the score manager. This means that I cannot use the edited instrument bank if the part switches to mallets and back.

Another thing, I can't get the right midi sounds mapped to the percussion. If I change the bank, I have attempted to get the right sounds but I assume that I am just not doing it right.

If it would help to know what I am fully attempting to do, Percussion 1 starts on Xylophone, then switches to percussion by playing a closed hi-hat. I don't know if I will have them play other percussion instruments, but if I do, I like it when I have all the instruments they may play on one staff.

Thanks for any help.