Hiding staves in full brass band score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dalizzie

Post by dalizzie » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:25 am

Hi everyone,
my first post.
I am engaving a piece for brass band and would like to know if I can hide a stave for a part from page one up to page 49 of a 55 page score which has 19 seperate parts down the page?
The part splits from 4 players on one stave to one on a new stave and three on the original stave at this point.
I have tried optimizing but it does not seem to work on one stave only throughout the piece up to page 49. I do not want to hide all the other staves that are not playing anything at the beginning.
I am currently still using Finale 2002.
Thanks for any help.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:28 am

You want to have full optimisation in some regions of your score and selective optimisation in some other regions.
You could create a staff style (staff tool, staff menu, define staf style, new) with optimisation NOT allowed (see checkbox in the left column).
Then select the staves and regions concerned and apply it. They will not be hidden.
FInally, apply the optimisation to the whole score or in the systems concerned. The empty (make sure they are really empty !) staves will disappear, except for the ones to which the staff style has been applied, and just in the regions where the staff style has been applied.
Last edited by michelp on Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:33 am

If that's the only staff you want to hide, just uncheck "allow optimization"
in all other staves.
Peter