How do I set backup location Finale 27

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Brent
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Brent » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:51 pm

I followed previously posted threads, but nothing happened except Finale thought I was opening up a fresh installation of the program. Still no choice of location in Preferences.

My power went off this morning for about 3 seconds, which was enough to lose almost two hours of work. I realize it was sloppy of me to not have manually saved the file more frequently, but autosave is set to save every ten minutes. I thought that it would rescue me in such an event. Wrong. Backup file nowhere to be found. Finale help files are pretty useless in this area.

Any guidance would really be appreciated.
...Brent

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:43 pm

Autosave files end in .asvx. Can you use the OS to search for such?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:48 pm

Preferences/Folders show where the files are stored. Backup files end in .bakx and are created when you save--they save the previous version stored on disk before overwriting. Autosave files end in .asvx and are saved according to the setting in Preferences/Save (whether or not backup files are made is set there, too). If the Folders setting for a type is blank, then the backup or autosave file will be put in the same folder as the .musx file.

Brent
Finale Version: 27

Post by Brent » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:56 pm

Thank you so much, Motet. Once again you have saved me from hours of chasing my tail looking for the answer to my problems. After all of these years I can't believe I didn't know that I could specify where my backups go. Geez...

You have bailed me out on many occasions. If you're ever in the Toronto area I'd love to buy you a beer!

Many thanks!

...Brent