Finale has encountered error when Windows 10 idles

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

heterophonic
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by heterophonic » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:40 pm

So I've been struggling with this issue on my new PC. Finale 27, Windows 10: When the PC goes into an idle state eventually the displays will turn off. When I resume work, Finale has a dialog open "Finale has encountered an error and will shut down". No other explanation. It recovers fine and restores previously open files. I haven't yet "Lost" any work ( I save often ). But this is a frustrating situation as some of my files are large and have a lot of VST loaded. I read one thread about changing the ASV/BAK folders and I did but that hasn't helped. I am going to attempt switching to a screensaver instead of powering down the monitors next to see if that might prevent the crash. At no time does my PC go to sleep. Any ideas?

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:04 pm

I get that error. I never got that error or ever saw it until Finale 27. I contacted MM support. They said it was probably do to an outdated sound driver. And, my sound driver did need to be updated so I did it. It has almost eliminated the issue but not entirely. After Finale sitting unused for a long period it will still give me that error.

I would suspect since you said you have a brand new computer, your drivers are all up to date but you might check. Since MM offered that suggestion I checked all my drivers and made sure they were up to date. The problem still persists but way more infrequently. MM screwed something up in 27 because I never had any issues with 26 or before. And, all my stuff is exactly the same as it was except for the driver updates. And, perhaps several Windows 10 updates, who knows?
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

montedoro44
Finale Version: 27

Post by montedoro44 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:52 am

Is this Error #56? looking like:

Error opening <name>: -56

Mine just started this today, but coincidentally, Microsoft has lately begun muscling me into trading Windows 10 in for Windows 11, and not being successful at installing it -- not enough memory, it says. What is error #56? I can't find the error list, if there is one.

Rebooting makes it ok, again, but idling seems to make it go bad. Curiously, this morning some Finale docs opened, while others did not. Until now when apparently nothing opened. None of these are large files.

onehunkytenor
Finale Version: 27.3.0.137

Post by onehunkytenor » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:36 am

I've been seeing this error under the same circumstances since "upgrading" to v27. MM support is not offering any real help, advising that I should reinstall. Of course, v27 IS a fresh install as of a small handful of weeks ago! They suggest that best practices would include closing down Finale if I'm going to be away from the computer for any length of time. Really? Is this release SO unstable on a latest-gen processor with 64GB of RAM? I'm very much missing v26 right about now!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:50 am

This is a terrible and well-known problem that they've neglected to fix for many years. It exists on both the Windows and the Mac. Telling you to reinstall is asinine.

The problem is that Finale fails to lock the temporary files it's using when it's running. The temporary files are stored in a system-wide folder that the operating system manages. Periodically a system task runs and deletes any unlocked files in the folder older than a certain age, which results in disaster if one of those files is still in use by Finale, as you've seen.

Fortunately, there's a work-around--create your own folder for Finale's temporary files. Change Preferences/Folders/Temporary Files to point to this new folder; the operating system will leave it alone. There is a slight inconvenience: not only does Finale fail to lock the temporary files, it sometimes fails to delete them before it exists. So you'll need to periodically manually clean out this temporary folder--close Finale first!

It should be easy for Finale to both lock its temporary files and delete them before it exits. Why they don't fix this, I don't know.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:59 pm

Why they don't fix this, I don't know.
There can be only two reasons. They either don't know how or they don't have the money to.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

onehunkytenor

Post by onehunkytenor » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:33 am

motet wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:50 am
Telling you to reinstall is asinine.
Agreed. 100%

I did phone and email tech support for years and I know from observing others that reinstalling is mostly the first (or last) hope of the inept or unwilling.
motet wrote:
The problem is that Finale fails to lock the temporary files it's using when it's running. The temporary files are stored in a system-wide folder that the operating system manages. Periodically a system task runs and deletes any unlocked files in the folder older than a certain age, which results in disaster if one of those files is still in use by Finale, as you've seen.
Shameful! MakeMusic -- are you reading this? WTAF??
motet wrote:
Fortunately, there's a work-around--create your own folder for Finale's temporary files. Change Preferences/Folders/Temporary Files to point to this new folder; the operating system will leave it alone.
Genius!

Done! Here's hoping the solution really is this simple!

Thank you, motet! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

onehunkytenor

Post by onehunkytenor » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:33 pm

So... the change was made per motet's recommendation. Alas, the problem persists.

Your thoughts are welcome; suggested courses of action, especially so!

Cheers

Edit: rereading this thread I realize that things were muddied a bit with the comment/question about error 56. To be clear, my issue relates to OP's "Finale has encountered an error and will shut down" issue. That's what I'm experiencing regularly since v27.
Last edited by onehunkytenor on Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motet

Post by motet » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:39 pm

I'm sorry it didn't fix it. Make sure you changed the Folders preference and that it points to the right place. For what it's worth, I never get this error.

onehunkytenor

Post by onehunkytenor » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:52 pm

motet wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:39 pm
Make sure you changed the Folders preference and that it points to the right place.
I want to make sure I understand this, motet.
In Finale, select Edit | Preferences | Folders | Temporary Files
Click the Browse button, select (in this case) the Finale 27 folder, click the Make New Folder button, call it temp_files, click the OK button.

Have I got that right?

motet

Post by motet » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:05 pm

I don't know what you mean by "the Finale 27 folder", but don't put in in \Program Files, where you might not have write permission. Rather, create the new folder in, say, your Documents directory.

onehunkytenor

Post by onehunkytenor » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:14 pm

It wasn't in Program Files, but anyhow... given the fact that temp files are written by Finale to that folder without complaint, one might assume one has write permission, eh?

motet

Post by motet » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:01 pm

Sounds like.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:20 pm

I don’t get this error anymore either. I put Finale’s temp folder on a completely different drive. I have left Finale running for days. It’s running as we speak.

motet

Post by motet » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:07 pm

Separate drive is not necessary, but yes, I thought getting away from the OS-managed temp directory was the solution to that problem.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:25 pm

Whether it is or isn't, it works for me.
The second thing for the OP to try is to make certain the sound and video drivers are both up to date. WIndows update driver tool isn't a good way to find this out. It told me I had the best driver already installed. However when I went to the Realtek website there was a more recent driver for my sound card.

Now whether this is "necessary", or not, it has worked on my machine which is nothing beyond an average off the shelf Dell. This is a simple thing to do and if it works or helps, great. And if it doesn't you are not out anything but a little time.

onehunkytenor

Post by onehunkytenor » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:07 pm

Have tried all your suggestions to no avail. I do sincerely appreciate your efforts tho. I guess I have to learn to live with the crashing. Sigh.

The good news is I have a discount coupon to share if you'd like to try Cantāmus beyond the 2-week trial. I don't work for them or derive any remuneration from this... just sharing an awesome tool. Use the code CARDINAL -- it's either 15 or 20%. I honestly don't remember.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:51 pm

I guess I have to learn to live with the crashing. Sigh.
You really don't! Finale does run and has run on thousands of computers with no issues. It can on your too. You just need to find out what it doesn't like or is conflicting with it. I know it can be frustrating but keep looking.
BTW, did you try disabling the print spooler? Try removing your printer all together.