Problem with Multimeasure Rests

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

sergiobn

Post by sergiobn » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:01 pm

When I create Multimeasure Rests like in Fig. 1 and I put a chord in the beginning, when I try to print a copy or print a PDF, just before the printing, Finale changes the layout and the first measure is separated as in Fig 2.
What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
FIG 2.jpeg
FIG 1.jpeg
Sergio Barrozo

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:33 pm

I assume figures 1 and 2 are reversed.

It looks like chord symbols break a multimeasure rest before and after. I suspect the reason this is happening right before you print is that you've unchecked Preferences/Edit/Automatic update layout. If so, you might as well turn it back on (though it won't solve your issue). Turning it off accomplishes nothing since the layout is updated before you print, and only leads to head-scratchers like this. It's really left over from the old days when computers and displays were slow.

I don't know from chords. Hopefully someone who does will have a solution for you.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:37 pm

You could create the multimeasure rests in the part before adding the chords, then uncheck Document options/Multimeasure rests/Update automatically, then add your chords. You need to be careful with that option off though--if you add music in the score where the part have a multimeasure rest, it won't show up in the part.

sergiobn

Post by sergiobn » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:22 am

Thank you very much for your replay. It solved my problem. The problem with Finale is that it's impossible to remember all these details. But this forum is great; I always find someone that has the right answer.
Sergio Barrozo