Can't remove old notes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

frankwslater
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by frankwslater » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:49 am

I am somewhat new to Finale, and brand new to this forum. I had entered some music in a section - only melody and lyrics. I decided to rewrite one section. I was able to delete and enter new notes for several measures, and then I wasn't. A couple of quarter rests, a triplet and some lyrics in two bars. If I delete the bars the old notes and lyrics stay on the page in the same location and the bars to the right shift left with their content "under"lapping the stuck notes.
The bars in question have whole rests in them with the old notation appearing over top the rests. I can write new notes and lyrics into these bars, but the derelict notation won't disappear. Redraw the screen (Control D) has no effect. I cannot select these notes. I have only ever worked in the one layer, but I did check every layer anyway. Tried changing from page view to scroll view, closed and reopened the file - no joy.
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Frank.

Update: after close/reopen and reboot PC I was able to step through with Simple Entry and select and delete. Still could not select with pointer.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:40 am

My first guess would be that the “un-deleteable” notes were in the previous measure, overfilling that measure.

In Other Words:
The notes seemed to be in the next measure.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:23 pm

I would also check for an overfilled measure. It isn't clear exactly how Finale displays over filled measures.
It is easy to think or look like you are in a certain measure when you are not. Check to the left.

If you delete a measure it will delete all layers so that's not the cause.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:45 pm

One way to find out:

1) Switch to Scroll View if you are not there already.

2) Scroll to the measure before “un-deletable” measure.

3) Move one measure forward (= move to the “un-deletable” measure).
If the notes disappear, when you move to the measure, then the “un-deletable” entries are in the previous measure.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

frankwslater
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by frankwslater » Mon May 09, 2022 9:49 pm

Thanks - the notes were in the previous measure as suggested. By deleting some notes in the previous measure the "stuck" notes moved back into the overfilled measure and I could edit them as needed.

Frank.