Overlapping noteheads

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

daniko
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by daniko » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I've tried looking for the solution for this problem, and I've played around with the Music Spacing and cannot manage to get the notes to separate.

I've used the setting for Avoid Collision of:
Notes and accidentals, Seconds (tried other stuff as well, found that Seconds is what I'm looking for).
Unisons: Different Noteheads, and tried various distances but failed to achieve it.

Only when using very large distance between items do the noteheads move further apart from each other, but then the measure is too large as well. I've tried setting maximum width, but either way it doesn't look good.

See image below.
What I want: separate the half and quarter note so they don't overlap, only touch at sides. Also a preference - bottom note (layer 2) should be on the left side of the upper note (layer 1).

Can you help me with this issue? Thanks!
Attachments
Overlapping_notes.png
Overlapping_notes.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 1078 times

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:33 pm

In Finale preferences -> Edit : if the box "Automatic Music Spacing" is checked, or if you apply Spacing (4), the collision disappears. The half note is placed on the right, though.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:58 pm

daniko,

What Finale does by default, is as motet describes it:
The half note is placed on the right.
And that is “standard practice” (= Finale does what it is supposed to do).

Since you need the half note on the left (= non-standard practice), you have to do some work.

First, toggle off Automatic Music Spacing, to avoid that that Finale - without asking for your permission - destroys your manually customized layout.
You can - at any time - apply music spacing manually (= only when and where you need it).

Next, use the (very technical) dialog box Edit Frame to adjust the precise horizontal positioning of the two notes.
How to get there:
Speedy Entry Tool.
Click outside the staff, to exit the entry rectangle.
Hold down CTRL, and click in the measure/staff (you must be in the correct layer).

The half note in Layer 2 should be at “zero position” (= on the beat).
The whole note in Layer 1 should be moved 7 Points to the right:
Attachments
EditFrame.jpg
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:10 pm

You don't say if you are using Speedy or Simple. Peter's answer is correct for Speedy. If you're using Simple, select the Note Position tool in the Special tools palette, and just drag the notes to where you want them.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society