Noteperformer 3 - Midi tool not responding

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Airat Ichmouratov
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Airat Ichmouratov » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:11 pm

Hi everyone,
I recently installed Noteperformer3 that I am using with my Finale (version 26.3.1.643), I have MacBook Pro 2019,
I noticed that when I change the Key velocities via the Midi tool (which I usually use often, sometimes it helps a lot to make better balance in tutti sections, without changing dynamics) so, key velocities are not working while I am using Noteperformer3. Any suggestions?
I love the sound of Noteperformer, but is there a way to control key velocities while using Noteprformer?

Thank you in advance
Airat

dtoub
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by dtoub » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:08 am

I don’t think it’s you. I have had similar issues. NotePerformer seems to follow its own drummer. For example, you can use Finale’s Mixer, but other than muting tracks, it really doesn’t seem to control the output from NotePerformer-you have to use its own mixer. Similarly, if you change instruments in the Score Manager, that does absolutely nothing; you have to change instruments in NotePerformer’s own window (via Audio/MIDI Playback: click on the pencil icon). One thing doesn’t speak to the other thing, in other words.

So in terms of the MIDI tool, I suspect that doesn’t communicate with NP either, and vice-versa. I know of no way, at least not with version 3.x of NotePerformer, to tweak key velocities and other MIDI input specifically. I suppose you could try to export MIDI to a DAW and use NP as a VST (I’ve not done that and am not sure NP does VST), but that also has problems if you need keyswitching, etc.

What would really help is if Finale finally included a piano roll window below the notation (which that other notation program finally did), which I think would then enable individual tweaks. That would be so much better than the current solution, which is to mess with dynamic markings for individual instruments (or change the balance in NP’s mixer, which is global and can’t be used focally).
http://dbtmusic.wordpress.com

https://dtoub.bandcamp.com/

Finale 27.x/macOS Sonoma/GPO 5/NotePerformer/Perfect Layout/Reason 12

Airat Ichmouratov
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Airat Ichmouratov » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:08 pm

Thank you for your input. It's sad, as I say - I really enjoy the sound of NP but it comes with a price.. i hope the creators will find a way to make it work...