Delete a tuplet?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:41 pm

I have several tuplets (triplets w/quarter notes in this case) and I'd like to delete the tuplet and modify the rhythm. In the manual (and online), it says "To delete the tuplet definition (and restore the notes to “normal”), click any handle and press DELETE." Tried a few times, the handles never appear......how do I do this?
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:09 am

bj nick wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:41 pm
… In the manual (and online), it says "To delete the tuplet definition (and restore the notes to “normal”), click any handle and press DELETE." Tried a few times, the handles never appear …
Are you using the Selection Tool?

From the Selection Tool, double-click on the tuplet bracket or on the tuplet number.
Finale will switch to the Tuplet Tool, with the tuplet selected, and showing the tuplet handles.

The tuplet handles will only show in the Tuplet Tool (not in the Selection Tool).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:38 am

Thanks, Peter. This solves the problem. I use selection tool, click on the "3" and delete it, and the notes revert to standard notes w/o tuplet. Solved. Great. But it's curious: I never see any "handles" regardless....not that I need them.....I'd just like to know what they are, I guess.
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:52 am

bj nick wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:38 am
… I use selection tool, click on the "3" and delete it, and the notes revert to standard notes w/o tuplet. Solved. Great. But it's curious: I never see any "handles" regardless …
You tell that you (single-)click on the “3”.

Instead, double-click on the “3”.
When you double-click, Finale will switch from Selection Tool to Tuplet Tool, and you will get tuplet handles.

The tuplet handles will only show in the Tuplet Tool (not in the Selection Tool).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996