Mid-clef changes imported via MusicXML not working

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

KeyboardArt
Finale Version: 27.1.0.277
Operating System: Mac

Post by KeyboardArt » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:06 am

I've been writing software that generates music notation and exports a MusicXML file. For the most part this is working quite well with Finale. But when I insert a clef change via <attributes> mid measure in the MusicXml like this: <attributes><clef><sign>G</sign><line>2</line></clef></attributes> per the documented standard Finale fails to display a clef change when imported into Finale.

When I test this using Finale I change a clef mid-measure per the documentation and it appears correctly. But when I export this Finale generated file and then re-import it the clef change is lost. It appears that Finale doesn't represent this properly in musicxml. In fact the notes that appear after the clef change in this test are exported as though they were in the previous clef and in turn display as such when imported.

Any ideas?

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:20 pm

I have noticed similar things when importing recognized scans from SmartScore. it might very well be a Finale problem.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

musicxml
Finale Version: Finale v27

Post by musicxml » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:29 pm

Could you please message me with a copy of the MusicXML file? Thanks!

KeyboardArt
Finale Version: 27.1.0.277

Post by KeyboardArt » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:59 am

I discovered that in my example I had a clef change of the same clef by mistake. When I actually change to a different clef it all works fine. It appears that Finale was clever enough to omit it since it was a duplicate. It's all good. Thanks, and my mistake. :oops: