graphics disappearing

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

duck11
Finale Version: V 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by duck11 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:29 am

Hello,

I am importing a fair amount of graphics to my score. I use Affinity Design to make the graphics so they are good vector graphics. I place them in Finale with the graphics tool, everything looks good, I assign it to the appropriate measure/ part etc. The problem is, every time I open my score back up, the graphics are confused. For example, where there was once a squiggle, there is now a completely different graphic in the exact same place that I may have used elsewhere. It isn't so much that things are moving around, it is like they are randomly being replaced or swapped out. I'm at a loss how to fix this!

Thanks.

wessmusic
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by wessmusic » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:24 pm

This is terribly annoying.

Unfortunately, the problem you are writing about is not from yesterday and the strangest thing (although we are all used to this neglect behavior by MM) is that they have never concentrated on solving it. Therefore, I prefer to add the graphics to the exported PDF file (on the second layer in Illustrator and as far as I know Affinity Designer also supports layers), so that in the next proofreading I can easily and quickly copy/paste only the necessary graphic content. It takes seconds per page, and I'd rather do this than wonder if when I open the Finale file, I won't face the same misery you're describing.
In fact, a similar topic has already been discussed in this forum.

I don't know if this is misfortune only in the Mac version of the program or it also affects Win users.
CUSTOM FONTS for FINALE and SIBELIUS
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f0udkrvb8xvh2zj/AAD_8mVlRzzr5mjZKI7BR7Kza?dl=0
________
Finale user since 1994

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:10 pm

wessmusic wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:24 pm
and the strangest thing (although we are all used to this neglect behavior by MM) is that they have never concentrated on solving it
At this point their attitude seems to be "as long as it doesn't crash."

wessmusic
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by wessmusic » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:54 pm

You are very right, Motet.
CUSTOM FONTS for FINALE and SIBELIUS
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f0udkrvb8xvh2zj/AAD_8mVlRzzr5mjZKI7BR7Kza?dl=0
________
Finale user since 1994

duck11

Post by duck11 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:13 pm

Ugh, OK, thanks very much for weighing in. I might need to do that, but what a ton of work as I need to retrace all my steps, or even assume I need to delete/readd all the graphics.

At least I know it isn't me causing the problem :cry:

duck11

Post by duck11 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:06 pm

If anyone see's this again....

When you use an external graphics editor, I am assuming you have to basically enter everything twice. So, make the parts and add graphics, then add the same graphics in a separate doc for the score. I hate doing things twice....!

Also curious if this would be better if I tried using an expression instead of graphics in finale, or if it would have the same issue

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:17 pm

I don't see this problem in Windows, and assuming it's not a Mac-only issue I wonder if it's related to the type of vector graphic file being used? I had no problem with .pdf and .wmf vector files, but when I tried to place an .eps file a "file not supported" pop-up appeared.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:21 pm

heinzfan wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:17 pm
… when I tried to place an .eps file a "file not supported" pop-up appeared.
Try changing the file name extension from .eps to .pdf - some users have been able to “fool” Finale in that way.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet

Post by motet » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:44 am

I used to use EPS but something changed in Ghostscript at some point (which CutePDF and others use) and just today I tried to reprint something to PDF and got this message:
0031.png
0031.png (5.22 KiB) Viewed 2838 times
(no Hebrew involved; don't tell Marjorie Taylor Greene). But as you say, PDF works, too, that that didn't have the problem.

When I tried printing the page with the EPS straight to my printer, which I'd never tried before, it printed but came out blurry, whereas the PDF is crisp.

SALC
Finale Version: 26

Post by SALC » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:30 am

Same thing here (on a Mac),but I think I found a fix.
When importing a graphic (png) here, make sure under options, "link to file", is checked.
Once checked it stays checked.
I use an eternal drive, so I suggest creating a folder than will not be moved, to store your graphics.

Tks
Sal

thomasproctormusic
Finale Version: 27

Post by thomasproctormusic » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:19 pm

heinzfan wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:17 pm
I don't see this problem in Windows, and assuming it's not a Mac-only issue I wonder if it's related to the type of vector graphic file being used? I had no problem with .pdf and .wmf vector files, but when I tried to place an .eps file a "file not supported" pop-up appeared.
Very much a problem with Windows 11, Finale v.27

Robert Paterson
Finale Version: 27.0.142

Post by Robert Paterson » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:32 am

I think I found one potential workaround; although we shouldn't need a workaround, we all know that. In Shape Designer, click Create Misc. Expression. Then click the add graphic button (instead of using the Graphics Tool in the Tool Palette) and then add a graphic. That way, your graphic is added as a Shape Expression. Not nearly as convenient or flexible as the other tool, but at least it allows you to add a pre-made graphic.
Finale User Since Practically The Beginning
Also a Sibelius User
MacBook Pro 2018

AnneMillington
Finale Version: 27.3.0

Post by AnneMillington » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:48 pm

Robert Paterson wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:32 am
I think I found one potential workaround; although we shouldn't need a workaround, we all know that. In Shape Designer, click Create Misc. Expression. Then click the add graphic button (instead of using the Graphics Tool in the Tool Palette) and then add a graphic. That way, your graphic is added as a Shape Expression. Not nearly as convenient or flexible as the other tool, but at least it allows you to add a pre-made graphic.
Is this a stable solution then? No more moving parts, so to speak?

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:04 pm

Robert Paterson wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:32 am
Ingenious. Tried it and it produces exactly the same graphic as the graphics tool. Unfortunately that means the quality is not good. But I'd use it if I weren't OK with the graphics tool. My graphics seem to stay put. Knock on wood.
Last edited by John Ruggero on Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:04 pm

We had a discussion in another thread about exporting and reimporting graphics in Finale. Using (any format in) Finale's Graphics tool the images are distorted when reimported because vector graphics for some obscure MM reason are changed into bitmapped ones. Resulting in blurry and totally useless images.

So, I tried the old Ossia tool. I know it's considered obsolete by a number of users, but at least it produces clear vector graphics. Now, having been so happy as to find this option, I met with the same problem as the OP: No way to tell which ossia snippet would stay put or which might have taken a long coffee break. Or would have found another page much cosier.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

AnneMillington
Finale Version: 27.3.0

Post by AnneMillington » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:14 pm

Anders Hedelin wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:04 pm
... Using (any format in) Finale's Graphics tool the images are distorted when reimported because vector graphics for some obscure MM reason are changed into bitmapped ones. Resulting in blurry and totally useless images...
Well this hot mess will keep me from tearing my hair out trying to use custom graphics. I was thinking I would, because I enjoy making vector graphics, and other programs seem to be able to rasterize them without a big deal. It seems to me that this would be a valuable addition to out-of-the-box Finale, but I have no idea how difficult it would be to create such a tool or process. I am really not trying to be snarky, but it would be nice to be able to use custom images throughout. Especially for teaching, or for music for children.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:42 pm

Anders Hedelin wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:04 pm
Resulting in blurry and totally useless images.
Not quite useless. I find them acceptable for small reduced musical examples in footnotes. But the more discerning might not.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:23 pm

Ok, John, I might have put it too strongly. "Useless for publishing" probably would be more to the point. I do hope I belong in the 'more discerning' category, BTW, having the job I have.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

motet

Post by motet » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:50 pm

Such embedded vector graphics (PDF or EPS) print fine, no?

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:56 pm

You are certainly in the discerning category, Anders. But I will be using them in publishing my current project, because I want to keep it all in Finale. and I am willing to compromise a little. I don't have the energy to lay out everything again in Affinity. Maybe in the future.

The small footnote examples do print fine, Motet, they are just a little less sharp than you, Anders, and I would prefer.
www.cantilenapress.com