how to raise/lower an articulation...

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Florio60
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Florio60 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:34 am

If I want to slightly raise or lower all occurrences of a particular articulation, for example a trill symbol, how do I do this? In theory, I know the procedure but if some of the articulations are above the stave and others are below, won't changing the increasing the V value raise the articulations that are below the stave so that they end up being on the stave itself? Do I need to change use the flipped symbol for articulations below the stave? If I use utilties-->change-->articulations, I can't specify if the articulation is normal or flipped?

Florio
Finale 2014.5
Windows 11

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:42 pm

Florio60 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:34 am
If I want to slightly raise or lower all occurrences of a particular articulation …
“… all occurrences …”
Florio60 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:34 am
… but if some of the articulations are above the stave and others are below, won't changing the increasing the V value raise the articulations that are below the stave so that they end up being on the stave itself? …
This sounds like “only occurrences above the staff”.

In the Articulation Designer there is a setting for {Distance from entry}.
You may be able to accomplish what you need, by increasing the {Distance from entry} - in combination with differentiated Handle Positioning settings for Main Symbol and Flipped Symbol.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Florio60
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Florio60 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:04 pm

Thanks Peter,

I was just using the trill symbol above the stave as an example. In any case I have managed to solve the problem using the Articulation Designer pane and choosing both the main symbol and the flipped symbol on note side only, and then specifying the distance.

Florio
Finale 2014.5
Windows 11